S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top

Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I modify my frame with the additional straps (retrofit kit), should any 02+ top work for my MY00? Or is there something special about the Robbins or EZ-ON tops?

I picked up a new in box 02+ glass top on craigslist for a great price and am planning on modifying my frame for it to fit. The lady I bought it from was shipped a second when the first one never showed up, but she ended up receiving both. She said she got it on eBay from topsonline, but I can't find what brand it is, the invoice she gave me said it was from accelerated supply which sells convertible tops and other accessories.

However, I noticed there's no large sleeve as pictured on this robbins top in this conversion pdf.

http://members.cox.net/random1/Glass...nst_Ver_2x.pdf

Here's a picture of the top I just picked up (outsides are folded inward). There are just two short attachment sleeves for the first two frame bows. I'm thinking once I modify the frame (with the properly placed straps) it should be fine? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Name:  IMAG0682-1.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  37.5 KB
Old 11-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BallSackJack,Nov 4 2009, 09:09 PM
If I modify my frame with the additional straps (retrofit kit), should any 02+ top work for my MY00? Or is there something special about the Robbins or EZ-ON tops?

I picked up a new in box 02+ glass top on craigslist for a great price and am planning on modifying my frame for it to fit. The lady I bought it from was shipped a second when the first one never showed up, but she ended up receiving both. She said she got it on eBay from topsonline, but I can't find what brand it is, the invoice she gave me said it was from accelerated supply which sells convertible tops and other accessories.

However, I noticed there's no large sleeve as pictured on this robbins top in this conversion pdf.

http://members.cox.net/random1/Glass...nst_Ver_2x.pdf

Here's a picture of the top I just picked up (outsides are folded inward). There are just two short attachment sleeves for the first two frame bows. I'm thinking once I modify the frame (with the properly placed straps) it should be fine? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Wow, that's a tough one. My initial guess would be that something wouldn't fit right, but there's no way of knowing without trying.

In my experience, the Robbins/EZ-on tops fit the 2000-01 frames better than an OEM top from a 02+ car. For some reason, the 02+ tops seem to droop a bit around the glass area on an 00-01 unless you push the rear most bar a bit farther back than doing a standard plastic to glass conversion for the Robbins/etc.

As for your top there, I would imagine that if the top connected to the 1st and 2nd bows but not the rear most one, then you'd be ok. If it connects to the rear most, then something is off.

Good luck with it.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Thanks for your quick response. I have one last question for you. Are the 1st and 2nd bows in the same place for the 00-01 frames as the 02+ frames?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by BallSackJack,Nov 4 2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for your quick response. I have one last question for you. Are the 1st and 2nd bows in the same place for the 00-01 frames as the 02+ frames?
Yes, it's the 3rd bow that gets modified to stop at different areas for the conversion between the two tops. That's the only one that moves from left to right. The second bow is stationary and the first one is on a hinge that has to stop at a certain point.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Instead of making my own straps, I decided that I would try and purchase the retrofit kit for Robbins/EZ-ON tops from topsonline.

So I communicated with a customer service rep back and forth several times. He said it would be $25 plus shipping for the retrofit kit. Then when he found out I had an 02+ top, he responded with this:

"Jesse, the 2002 & up tops do not fit the 2000-01 Honda S2000 frames, with or without the retrofit kit, that's a fact, you can check with factory."

Aren't the frames nearly identical once all of the elastic and nylon straps are in place? (elastic from 2nd to 3rd, and nylon from 3rd to rain rail). Or am I way off here?

The only thing I'm worried about is that my new top does not have a sleeve or anything for the 3rd frame bow, but that shouldn't be a problem if all of the straps are installed correctly right? The lady I bought it from had the same top installed on her MY04-05 and it looked great.

.....I just ran into this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10222050

it says that the distance between frame bow 1-2 is 11" for 00-01 and 10" for 02+ so I think that means I'm screwed.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 AM

Hello,

I recently finished replacing my top. Does anyone have suggestions for replacing the seals? My windows are no longer fitting properly into the seals. Do I need to purchase new foam sealant to attach the tops to the seals? Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by BallSackJack,Nov 5 2009, 05:32 PM
Instead of making my own straps, I decided that I would try and purchase the retrofit kit for Robbins/EZ-ON tops from topsonline.

So I communicated with a customer service rep back and forth several times. He said it would be $25 plus shipping for the retrofit kit. Then when he found out I had an 02+ top, he responded with this:

"Jesse, the 2002 & up tops do not fit the 2000-01 Honda S2000 frames, with or without the retrofit kit, that's a fact, you can check with factory."

Aren't the frames nearly identical once all of the elastic and nylon straps are in place? (elastic from 2nd to 3rd, and nylon from 3rd to rain rail). Or am I way off here?

The only thing I'm worried about is that my new top does not have a sleeve or anything for the 3rd frame bow, but that shouldn't be a problem if all of the straps are installed correctly right? The lady I bought it from had the same top installed on her MY04-05 and it looked great.

.....I just ran into this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10222050

it says that the distance between frame bow 1-2 is 11" for 00-01 and 10" for 02+ so I think that means I'm screwed.
I have installed 02+ tops on 00-01 frames. The rear bow needs to settle at a further back location when the top is in the up position. It's not the ideal fitment of course, but it does work.

Of course, with that top of yours missing a section in it, I'm not sure how the thing goes together. If you haven't installed it, I would try selling it to an 02+ owner and just get a robbins to be on the safe side.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Elsindale,Nov 22 2009, 12:47 PM
Hello,

I recently finished replacing my top. Does anyone have suggestions for replacing the seals? My windows are no longer fitting properly into the seals. Do I need to purchase new foam sealant to attach the tops to the seals? Thank you for any help you can provide.
If your windows are not longer fitting properly, then your seals are installed incorrectly. The fitment with your windows to the seals should be exactly the same after a new top installation if you installed the seals back properly.

Double check the following:

1. Did you screw the chrome seal rails in at exactly the same position as before? There should have been marks around the holes from where the screws were previously.
2. Is the rubber seated properly into the seals? if you can easly knock the rubber pieces out with your hand, then they're not in right. They should fit snugly inside the chrome rails once they're in. Recheck the walk through for instructions on this.

If your windows are fitting fine but there is wind noise or small leaks, try treating your seals with Shin-Etsu grease. This should be a yearly maintenance regardless of top replacement. You can purchase this at your local honda dealer or through www.handaaccessories.com
Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 AM

The upholstery shop that did my top did not remove the two inner tonneau cover metal clips on the back of the roll hoops and did a fairly poor job in general so I won't be returning my car to that particular shop.

How do I remove these clips?

Also is it possible to install the straps necessary for the glass retro-fit without removing the top? The upholstery shop missed this step entirely
Old 12-23-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by BeefMan,Dec 23 2009, 03:21 PM
The upholstery shop that did my top did not remove the two inner tonneau cover metal clips on the back of the roll hoops and did a fairly poor job in general so I won't be returning my car to that particular shop.

How do I remove these clips?

Also is it possible to install the straps necessary for the glass retro-fit without removing the top? The upholstery shop missed this step entirely
wow, that's a tough one. You can get to the two metal clips from inside but you have to remove the rear tray and have flexible hands or a good wrench set. They're 10mm I believe on the outside and inside. One hand has to squeeze inside with a gear wrench preferable while the other is on the outside with a ratchet.

As for the retro fit, I wouldn't attempt it with the top on. Drilling is involved and I can't see any easy way to do it with the top on and not put holes in it by mistake. Also, straps have to be installed behind the rain rail retainers. You're looking at taking most of it apart to get it done.

Quick Reply: Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top