S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

replacement of S2000 key

Old 06-19-2001, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about changing the ECU to disable the immobilizer. On my 99 Accord when i wanted remote start they installer said that I need to place the spare key in the car near the ECU or the transmitter that receives the signal from the key. So i didn't go with remote start. This is the only way for me to remotely start my accord with the immobilizer.

The bad thing about doing this is that the car can be stolen now. If someone breaks the steering column they can somehoe break the pin to unlock the steering wheel and get off with our car.

Personally I like the added saftey of the immobilizer.
Old 06-20-2001, 04:46 AM

Blau-Blau : The key is still idea for operative purposes, for example you can have the engine running and use your JDM S2K key to lock the doors up. This way, you have access to the car whilst the engine is still running as well. Looks to others you have a turbo timer application running or something, definitely good to cool off the engine of the F20C high rev/temperature output whether or not you trash the car.

Kwando : That could be possible if the Accord has enough space in the steering column to permit the key to be placed near the ignition hole. However, there is a certain angle and distance to be adapted and cannot be altered. Installation of back-up key inside the steering column might move whilst fast or winding driving. This method is not practical and also unsafe as mentioned in my above post to theft.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:55 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
Installation of back-up key inside the steering column might move whilst fast or winding driving. This method is not practical and also unsafe as mentioned in my above post to theft.
Are you sure ithe ECU continues to look for the signal from the key once the car is already started? I bet it doesn't (for safety reasons in case the transmitter or ECU malfunctions during driving).
Old 06-20-2001, 09:28 AM

Blau:

If you already have the key, I think I would get it cut to the right pattern, and then take your current chipped key and cut off the non plastic encased part. Then you would have a relatively unobtrusive fob with the chip, and a very cool key for the main event.

Dan
Old 06-20-2001, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really like both Takashi n Skarv's ideas. I think it's possible to change the end part of the key like what Skarv said. However, I have to look for some experts too look it up first, have to be very careful in cutting the edges of the std s2000 key.
I will also consider having 2 keys with the JDM one locking doors since I dont really want to damage the key.....

Ahhhhhh
Old 06-20-2001, 02:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STL
[B]Are you sure ithe ECU continues to look for the signal from the key once the car is already started?
Old 06-20-2001, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by blau-blau
I really like both Takashi n Skarv's ideas. I think it's possible to change the end part of the key like what Skarv said. However, I have to look for some experts too look it up first, have to be very careful in cutting the edges of the std s2000 key.
I will also consider having 2 keys with the JDM one locking doors since I dont really want to damage the key.....
Cutting the stock key is not hard, but it does require the right pressure and technique. You need to cut the key from the centre, or should I say where the contact point of the metal is. Slicing it all the way down and repeat it for the other side. That's how I did it before for a buddy, when you are getting to the middle of the plastic, you will see a white plastic coated chip inside. Real light and definitely visible if you work on it slowly. Machine cutting it will risk damaging the chip.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:15 PM

Is it possible to open the cool new key to put the chip (from the ugly old key) into it?

Ted