S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Remote Start the S in gear...

Old 04-01-2011 | 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBearTX
Ah so you've never made a mistake in your life. Its as if you are jesus or something never having sinned.
Being that Rob is a local I can confirm that he is the closest thing to the holy ghost (plus he's Canadian so he's as white as one)
Old 04-02-2011 | 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by #172CR
I assume you have the VIPER 5900 then? The later models, 5901 and 5902 require that switch installed if I remember correctly. Whenever I have my car serviced I make it blatantly obvious and clear that the car HAS remote start and to NEVER leave the car in gear, even though I toggle the switch. Just in case something happens.

I feel for you man, I've always worried about that myself, but it is one of the risks I felt okay with living with should it ever happen. Good luck with the repairs.
My viper alarm is the same way. Actually I have to press the foot break, pull the ebreak, press the foot break again and then set the remote start. If the door or trunk gets opened then the remote starts is dissabled.
Old 04-03-2011 | 02:28 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by DSCLegend
Originally Posted by #172CR' timestamp='1301596508' post='20416596
I assume you have the VIPER 5900 then? The later models, 5901 and 5902 require that switch installed if I remember correctly. Whenever I have my car serviced I make it blatantly obvious and clear that the car HAS remote start and to NEVER leave the car in gear, even though I toggle the switch. Just in case something happens.

I feel for you man, I've always worried about that myself, but it is one of the risks I felt okay with living with should it ever happen. Good luck with the repairs.
My viper alarm is the same way. Actually I have to press the foot break, pull the ebreak, press the foot break again and then set the remote start. If the door or trunk gets opened then the remote starts is dissabled.
There is a module that you can get to allow the vipers to be used with a manual transmission safely. It adds the safety checks for you so you never have to worry (which is what you have with yours . The Compustar model is also excellent for that reason, those safety checks are built into the unit.

Needless to say, you don't need that module add on to have remote start work with a manual car. I hooked it up for fun as is, one of the best mods I've done to the car for me.
Old 04-03-2011 | 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Woodson
Originally Posted by sunman' timestamp='1301679492' post='20420321
Do you cold start your car and just start driving immediately? Wouldn't you want oil temps to at least start coming up at temperature before driving it around and getting all the other parts (diff, tranny etc.) warmed up as well?
Yep. Read your owners' manual.
Woodson is right. I roll 20 seconds after I start it. I'm careful with it until the temp comes up.

From the Car Talk website:

1. Your engine warms up quickest with some load on it, i.e. driving it.
2. An idling engine runs very ineffienctly and pollutes more than a loaded one. In addition, your are not moving while you're idling; causing even more waste.
3. The fuel/air mixture during idling is not the best for maximum engine life; raw gas washes the oil off the cylinder walls.
4. If you warm up the engine first, then take off fast, you are putting incredible strain on the other components of the car that are still cold. Taking off shortly after starting warms up the whole power train and suspension together.

In spite of the (4) points, you need to idle the car long engough to get the engine oil to circulate to the valve gear on top of the engine. In most of the US, with 5W30 oil this takes no more than 20 seconds or so.
Old 04-06-2011 | 11:53 AM

Just as a brief follow-up, I have explained everything in detail to my insurance company and they are actually looking to go after the dealership's insurance company for some money due to something about the brake, or something like that. Whatever their reason may be, it came to me as a surprise and I'm happy that I may at least see a little repair money out of this whole ordeal. Also, I managed to get out of the insurance points I would have gotten due to having a one-car accident with a wavier form because I was not actually driving the car. All in all, this is turning out pretty decent for a combination of my stupidity and plain old bad luck.
Old 04-06-2011 | 12:21 PM

this happened to me before w/ my 99 Saturn <before I had my S>. Dad moved it and left it in reverse, mom hit the remote start button in the morning and the car took off approx. 150ft in reverse with the ebrake up. I got lucky and the car hit the neighbors tree buckling the drivers side rear frame rail. The car was totaled. I never parked the car in gear and still don't park my S in gear. I got lucky because my neighbors home is worth about 1 milion, and he has his priceless 69 Camaro Z28 only a few feet away from the tree it hit. Live and learn.
Old 04-06-2011 | 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by dr.darkness
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1301673066' post='20419901
I never understood the whole idea of remote starts. Money spent needlessly, on an item bound to cause issues at somepoint, all so that you can get into a warm car? I laugh at the wasted gas as I walk past all the idling cars on my way out of work.
If you had Arthrits in your hands and a cold steering wheel kills then you would understand wanting to warm up your car first.
They make leather gloves with sheepskin on the inside to keep your hands nice and toasty; at about 1/10th of the price, without the legality issue, or the possible dangers that this thread presents. So no, I still don't understand how this relates to a remote start.
Old 04-07-2011 | 03:24 AM

VSA would have prevented this.
Old 04-07-2011 | 05:19 AM
15 Year Member

I tried to take a piss earlier but left my pants on and pissed myself, I am suing Levi and Brett Favre.
Old 04-07-2011 | 06:20 PM

Hope you win!

Quick Reply: Remote Start the S in gear...