S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Remote Start the S in gear...

Old 03-31-2011 | 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by hirev
i have not been able to move the car when the ebrake is on fully without a substantial drag and eventualy stall, movement minimal at most, if any. this is not something i do regularly but i have forgotten the ebrake and that's what happens. so the brakes in mycar are stronger than the engine from a start, period. remember power braking, remember trying to get an automatic car to burn rubber, the brakes are stronger than the engine without the moving mass of the car to work against...so from a stand still i think with an ebrake application the car will not move, especially at only idle. just my opinion, nothing more.
Have you ever stall started a car? It jumps forward. Do that on a hill, you remove resistance from the front wheels/brakes, power delivered to the rear, and downhill and you have a 2800lbs vehicle in motion. A static brake force isn't going to stop that, depending on the hill grade.

Either way, your lawyer is laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 04-01-2011 | 07:51 AM

I never understood the whole idea of remote starts. Money spent needlessly, on an item bound to cause issues at somepoint, all so that you can get into a warm car? I laugh at the wasted gas as I walk past all the idling cars on my way out of work.
Old 04-01-2011 | 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by s2cho
Originally Posted by dr.darkness' timestamp='1301597269' post='20416663
I had that happen to mine and it only jumped foward less than a foot then stalled
i would think it would stall right away...
but dang man sorry to say its your fault and i have had bad luck with the s when i had first got it.

but now im bad luck free and im sure your luck will come around.

some system will keep on restarting for a few times if the engine didn't continue idling.
Old 04-01-2011 | 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I never understood the whole idea of remote starts. Money spent needlessly, on an item bound to cause issues at somepoint, all so that you can get into a warm car? I laugh at the wasted gas as I walk past all the idling cars on my way out of work.
Do you cold start your car and just start driving immediately? Wouldn't you want oil temps to at least start coming up at temperature before driving it around and getting all the other parts (diff, tranny etc.) warmed up as well?

It's the same thing as sitting in your car for 1-2 minutes, just with added convenience.
Old 04-01-2011 | 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by sunman
Do you cold start your car and just start driving immediately? Wouldn't you want oil temps to at least start coming up at temperature before driving it around and getting all the other parts (diff, tranny etc.) warmed up as well?
Yep. Read your owners' manual.
Old 04-01-2011 | 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
If you had Arthrits in your hands and a cold steering wheel kills then you would understand wanting to warm up your car first.
Old 04-01-2011 | 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
No but you are funny for being below average intelligence.

Basically what you're saying is you assumed someone would drive the way you do, which is wrong (parking in neutral) and expected the e-brake to be set so tight as to over come the starter. Starters are pretty tough little suckers and likely ebrake was set afterwards - probably lightly. Further more you disabled a safety feature that is required by law. Holy shit son.

I feel for you, nothing like eating crow. Part of me is laughing that you were given a drivers license, allowed to drive on open roads where you could kill people. Imagine if due to your complete ignorance you killed someone. I'd suggest such actions should get you murder 2.

That is all from me today. Man the public is scary shit.
Ah so you've never made a mistake in your life. Its as if you are jesus or something never having sinned.
Old 04-01-2011 | 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by dr.darkness
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1301673066' post='20419901
If you had Arthrits in your hands and a cold steering wheel kills then you would understand wanting to warm up your car first.
A legitimate point; that demographic represents what, .01% of sales for remote starters?
Old 04-01-2011 | 05:37 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
A legitimate point; that demographic represents what, .01% of sales for remote starters?
We had a remote start on a 1995 LR Disco. It was AWESOME. It was the Winter beater and we parked it on the street in Chicago. You could start it up, have coffee and check email, then get into a toasty car and never have to scrape windows or clear snow from it.
Old 04-01-2011 | 06:47 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackBearTX
Ah so you've never made a mistake in your life. Its as if you are jesus or something never having sinned.
Hey! Don't be baggin' on rob-2. Many of us find him quite Jesus-ey.

Quick Reply: Remote Start the S in gear...