S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Remote Start the S in gear...

Old 03-30-2011 | 06:24 PM

Its unfortunate but true that you are 100% liable for all damages.

When you install a remote start system on a manual car its not IF you run into something. Its WHEN you run into something. Your car WILL drive away at somepoint and it really comes down to how much damage will be caused.

I have seen cars hit garage doors, drive themselves into lakes, and into traffic.

On the s2000 the ebrake is directly connected to the drive wheels, the starter/engine make enough power to overpower the ebrake system. The S2000 ebrake is bearly strong enough to hold the car on a hill by itself which is why its always recommended to leave the car in gear.
Old 03-30-2011 | 06:46 PM

No but you are funny for being below average intelligence.

Basically what you're saying is you assumed someone would drive the way you do, which is wrong (parking in neutral) and expected the e-brake to be set so tight as to over come the starter. Starters are pretty tough little suckers and likely ebrake was set afterwards - probably lightly. Further more you disabled a safety feature that is required by law. Holy shit son.

I feel for you, nothing like eating crow. Part of me is laughing that you were given a drivers license, allowed to drive on open roads where you could kill people. Imagine if due to your complete ignorance you killed someone. I'd suggest such actions should get you murder 2.

That is all from me today. Man the public is scary shit.
Old 03-30-2011 | 07:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Sucks but yeah as others have said definitely 100% your fault. Sorry to hear though, gotta suck!
Old 03-30-2011 | 07:36 PM

You seem to be looking for answers to blame someone or something else, but the fact is, this is 100% ignorance on your part, and luckily no one was hurt or killed. That was a very dangerous thing that happened. Best bet is to own up to it, and learn from it. Just accept the blame, and take future measures to MAKE SURE this never happens again. As bad as it seems for you, you are a very lucky man. It could have been much much worse. Best of luck to ya!!
Old 03-30-2011 | 07:44 PM

I think it's very plausible that even with the e-brake set the car can still move. I have driven with the e-brake engaged a few times (by accident of course) and I honestly felt little to no difference in driving. I engaged first gear with the parking brake up like I normally do which is around 1600-2000 RPM so it really doesn't take that much force to overcome the parking brake. The only thing I would say is not possible is the mechanics pushing the car with the e-brake engaged. Of course, if the e-brake was only engaged a few clicks they could probably push it, but they definitely should not have been able to push the car effortlessly if the e-brake was set enough to hold the car on the hill without the car being in gear. Not being a lawyer or anything, and judging from past cases of similar nature I would unfortunately say you are liable. The only thing you may perhaps be able to argue is the fact that they did not set the parking brake properly and use the fact that they were able to push your car without resistance as evidence. But even this in my opinion is a long stretch and I doubt it would do much good in a court case scenario. Again, I'm not a lawyer, just my opinion on the matter.
Old 03-30-2011 | 07:50 PM

When the car is facing downhill. It should be parked in reversed gear, NOT FIRST GEAR. and the front wheels turned pointing the curb. Even if the handbrake fail, the curb will stop the car.
Old 03-30-2011 | 07:51 PM

you wanted to sue when you're clearly running a system that's against the law? man, no wonder our country is so fkked up!
Old 03-30-2011 | 10:49 PM

Do you really expect a static braking force to resist a dynamic addition of torque and likely removed the resistance of the front wheels when it lunged? You applied torque to a 2800lbs object in the direction of least resistance, what else do you think would happen?

Oh and InB4VSAWouldHaveStoppedThat
Old 03-31-2011 | 08:01 AM

The system I had on my RSX Type-S could only be armed for remote start if you activated it before leaving the vehicle, then you had to take the key out (car would still be running) exit the vehicle, close the door and arm the system. Once the alarm was armed it would shut off. If for whatever reason you unlocked the car and opened the door the remote start trigger would be disarmed.
Old 03-31-2011 | 10:35 AM
15 Year Member

I assume you have the VIPER 5900 then? The later models, 5901 and 5902 require that switch installed if I remember correctly. Whenever I have my car serviced I make it blatantly obvious and clear that the car HAS remote start and to NEVER leave the car in gear, even though I toggle the switch. Just in case something happens.

I feel for you man, I've always worried about that myself, but it is one of the risks I felt okay with living with should it ever happen. Good luck with the repairs.

Quick Reply: Remote Start the S in gear...