S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Remote Start the S in gear...

Old 03-30-2011 | 04:16 PM

Default Remote Start the S in gear...

So I've been having a fair amount of trouble with my S2000 lately...first the clutch blew out almost completely (around when I hit 90,000 miles) and slipped whenever I applied the slightest amount of throttle. I brought it to my local dealership and they fixed it, but at a significant cost. Then, yesterday when I got in the car in the morning, it would not go into reverse at all and I ended up having to turn the engine off, shift into reverse, turn it back on, and back out. This other trouble comes less than 2 weeks after the original blown clutch. I again brought it to the dealership and they diagnosed the problem as a leaking master and slave cylinder in the clutch (which apparently they did not replace with the original clutch replacement).

Now, you may be wondering how all this relates to the title of the post. I also recently had an alarm/remote start system installed by a reputable viper dealer. While I did disengage the safety interlock for the manual transmission, I figured it would not be a problem because I park in neutral with the ebrake, as I have heard countless others say. All day today I sat around waiting for the service rep to call and say my car was done, and they eventually did around 5 today. I went to the dealership and took care of the paperwork and then remote started the car because it was pretty cold out today. What I did not realize, though, was that they had parked the car in first gear facing downhill towards the service garage bays. I know it was part stupidity on my part for not realizing they might have parked it in gear, but I am used to impulsively remote starting the car with all the cold weather lately.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the car remote started and drove itself about 20 feet down the hill, through a service garage, and into a wall. The damage is minimal compared to what I expected, but I'm going to need a new bumper and hood at least to make it like new. Luckily no one was hurt in the accident and I learned my lesson not to EVER remote start the car when someone else has had possession of the keys and/or has driven it. I am usually the only one who drives the car so it did not even cross my mind as a possibility.

What I did not understand, however, was how the car could have rolled so far forward if the ebrake was set correctly. Normally I hear of manual transmission cars hopping curbs and such because of parking in gear and remote starting, and then immediately stalling. I figured, though, that it would be standard procedure at a garage that parks cars on a hill facing a building to park cars with the emergency brakes set. I spoke to the manager at the dealership service facility and he confirmed that he had spoken to two different mechanics and they both told him it was standard procedure to set the ebrake and park manual transmission cars in gear.

Am I the only one who finds it implausible that a car parked in gear with the ebrake fully and correctly set would be able to roll at all when remote started beyond the initial lurch/hop of the engine stalling? I'm not talking a small distance here either, the car literally rolled down a fairly decent size hill and through a closed garage door. Also, when mechanics pushed it backwards out of the garage bay it had rolled through, the car rolled freely backwards. It is my impression that if the ebrake had been set properly the car would maybe have gone a few feet, but even on that hill (not a super steep grade) it would not have rolled like it did.

I understand from a liability standpoint that it most likely is my fault because I disengaged the interlock. The whole situation just sucks though. While I probably wouldn't/won't win the court case, I don't think the ebrake was set like they said it was and that alone could have saved us all the trouble.
Old 03-30-2011 | 04:41 PM

Suppose to use the valet switch when someone else has your car.
Old 03-30-2011 | 04:56 PM

My installer decided not to install the valet switch? Not entirely sure why. That is, if you're referring to the silver kill switch that comes with viper alarms that's supposed to be mounted under the dash, not the button that's part of the remote receiver which is mounted to the windshield.
Old 03-30-2011 | 05:11 PM

yea. silver toggle switch with on/off on it. you need a new installer then. Seen a car run under a trailer before. valet switch works great when you lend other people cars especially whenever kids play with the keys.
Old 03-30-2011 | 05:40 PM

Is there any way the installer could be liable for this even though I modified the system? At this point I'm just looking to not have to pay for all this bs. I'm guessing the shop will want me to pay for the damaged door too, this could not be worse.
Old 03-30-2011 | 05:48 PM
Former Moderator

Nope, you're 100% liable.

The CompuStar remote start system basicially cannot be set when the car is in gear, preventing this kind of accident. By getting a Viper alarm that was not designed for a manual transmission and modifying the system, you accepted the risk. Even if the dealership had remote started it, you'd be liable. That you hit the button, it's totally all on you.

There are at least three lessons here. It sucks and I feel your pain, but take it as a life learning lesson. Never cut corners or be lazy, it doesn't pay off in the long run.
Old 03-30-2011 | 05:52 PM
Former Moderator

And don't try and blame them for ebrake BS. If you leave the car in gear, then you don't have to pull up very much on the ebrake because it's a redundant system. If you don't have your ebrake cable adjusted properly (again, on you), then it might not have very much stopping power. Add to that it was on a downhill, totally believable.

Also, service factory manual states to ALWAYS PARK CAR IN GEAR even with the ebrake. Especially on a hill. They were following the factory guidelines.
Old 03-30-2011 | 05:53 PM

yea you're 100% reliable, It even says on the installation manual that this product should not be installed in a manual tranmission vehicle.
Old 03-30-2011 | 06:02 PM

ALWAYS park in gear.
Old 03-30-2011 | 06:08 PM
G

sorry to hear - but I agree it is YOUR fault alone.

Quick Reply: Remote Start the S in gear...