S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Remember the aftermarket headlight thread?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSilverS2k
Originally Posted by emac0408' timestamp='1300399352' post='20373351
I respect your boldness... but unless your stocks are done for, don't be the guinea pig. The fact that these aftermarket headlights have been so talked about and prevalent on ebay means someone has purchased them. A supplier is even a sponsor. Why hasn't anyone who purchased them spoken up already?
You make a good point, my tabs are broken on mine and well, I just love everything new. Also I would like to test these out, if they're good people will buy them, why hasn't anyone tired these jesus.. I don't want to sound liek I am making our cars sound less Superior, but for god damn sakes we own S2000's not Ferrari's..
For god damn sakes regardless of prices, low quality stuff/not safe, shouldn't be used. (If their headlights would pass DOT, they would've had it certified with a real DOT stamp already. Their reflector doesn't pass DOT test, their lighting projection does not pass DOT, their lens does not pass DOT, their wiring will never pass DOT.

For god damn sakes, just because you are poor, doesn't mean you have to eat shxt. Even though S2000 is not a Ferrari, doesn't mean it should use super low quality products.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Projector assemblies are typically nameless commodity parts, they are all pretty much the same, so the rest would be in the assembly quality. I have yet to see anyone explain what makes an S2000 projector superior. As for the eBay assemblies, I don't like the design, but I haven't seen anything that would preclude me from buying them other than the look.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Projector assemblies are typically nameless commodity parts, they are all pretty much the same, so the rest would be in the assembly quality. I have yet to see anyone explain what makes an S2000 projector superior. As for the eBay assemblies, I don't like the design, but I haven't seen anything that would preclude me from buying them other than the look.
There isn't much to explain. There are two parts, which cost a TON to R&D....

1)The proper mixture of either glass or plastics to achieve desired transparency.

2)The proper focusing of molding a projector. While the "shape" can be copied, no other aspect of a projector can by a cheap company, and still be cost competitive. The projector has to be just the right diameter for the car (depending on car height, location of headlights on car, etc) for the light beam pattern to be perfect. The projectors are also not 100% clear. They have SOME diffusion to spread the light, and again, this blend cannot be easily copied.

While someone mentioned cutoff as being NOT important (it actually is but lets forget that for a moment) that should show you how different these things all are. The s2000 projector (or any OEM projector) produces a SHARP near perfect horizontal line. The projector is basically a sphere or half-sphere. The aftermarket projectors are ALSO spheres or halfspheres, but their cutoffs are horrible and sloppy. Light scatters EVERYWHERE, thus putting LESS light on the road. Both are spheres, but as you can imagine, there is a reason why the OEMs put out one patters, and ebay another.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 AM

Dude, Projector assemblies are not nameless and not in any way shape or form are they all the same!

Here is the difference between HID in a factory BMW halogen projector vs. HID in a high quality HID projector...that is NOT the same.

Here is the difference that just changing the glass lens to clear instead of fresnel (rippled) makes:

S2000 Projector units:

Crappy Ebay units:

Typical Eagle Eyes projectors with HID output:

S2000 Projector output:

Projectors come in so many sizes and designs, no two perform alike.

Please guys, don't downgrade your S2000 by putting in some aftermarket headlamp.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Well, why didn't you say so in the first place?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 AM

Well, why didn't you say so in the first place?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM

I'm not going to try to convince you. A little research (and perhaps actually comparing the two projectors side by side) would show you the error of your ways.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WELL I BOUGHT THEM AND WE WILL SEE. If there awesome then sweet! if they suck my loss and everyone can go back to being normal.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by OneSilverS2k
WELL I BOUGHT THEM AND WE WILL SEE. If there awesome then sweet! if they suck my loss and everyone can go back to being normal.

lol...amazing. After all those posts and when you can buy used OEM Ap2 headlights for about the same money...

all the power to you bro !!!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Post pictures of output at night and your impression of how they perform versus your OEM lights.

Also for those of you who think your S2000 headlights aren't that bright or wide...perhaps you should replace your bulbs! HID bulbs do not simply burn out when they get old and tired...they just get dimmer and dimmer and more purple in hue until you can barely see the road! You can get new Philips 85122+ OEM bulbs for about $75 a pair or decent aftermarket Morimoto D2S bulbs for about $35/pair to restore your projector performance! I would be willing to make a good bet that most AP1 S2000 owners are still running the original HID bulbs that came in the car which have a good usable life of about 5 years under normal use.

Quick Reply: Remember the aftermarket headlight thread?