S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Reduced braking performance

Old 03-15-2010 | 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2Bfurious,Mar 15 2010, 06:39 PM
I don't know what normal is, but if i were only experiencing something like this in the rain and noticed no change in braking feel on dry roads, i would just attribute my loss in braking feel to the weather and probably wouldn't worry about it. How would you describe the change, as very subtle, subtle, noticeable, very noticeable, extremely noticeable. I would imagine that it's normal for braking distances to increase in wet roads, less friction to slow the vehicle down.

As for swerving to one side, how hard are you braking that it's scary, I'm driving around in a Land Rover that's braking in the front with only the passenger side caliper(driver side seized-to lazy to replace) and it also swerves really nastily to one side when i slam the brakes, but i wouldn't say it's scary. As you're braking is the abs kicking in as you brake? Should the VSA do something here to help keep the car straight?

I don't know, it sounds weird.
I understand what you're saying, but why did this suddenly start happening? And only in the rain/wet? I would describe the change as very noticeable, to the point where I get a little scared.

As for the swerving part, I'm not braking hard at all. I'm going roughly 60-65mph and just brake normally to slow down (say for an exit, or a slow moving car ahead of me). The entire front of the car moves towards the left. I say it's scary just because of the wet weather. I know how skittish the S2000 can be in inclement weather. Any extra "swerving" that I'm not expecting is scary to me.

No ABS at all. No VSA. Very weird indeed. I'm definitely going to remove the wheels and take a closer look at the brakes this weekend. In fact, I'll order some now since I'll need them anyway.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone.
Old 03-16-2010 | 06:00 AM

that's not normal. i daily drive my ap1. i've never experienced what you're talking about. the first time you use your brakes when the car is cold should not be a scary experience... inspect all brake components especially brake lines. when was the last time your brakes were bled? also check the caliper pistons seals. especially the passenger side(if it's pulling a bit to the left when you brake).
Old 03-16-2010 | 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mike21,Mar 16 2010, 10:00 AM
that's not normal. i daily drive my ap1. i've never experienced what you're talking about. the first time you use your brakes when the car is cold should not be a scary experience... inspect all brake components especially brake lines. when was the last time your brakes were bled? also check the caliper pistons seals. especially the passenger side(if it's pulling a bit to the left when you brake).
Thanks. Will be doing a closer inspection this weekend. Seems to only occur when wet out. This morning, everything was fine.

Brakes have never been bled or changed. Rotors are original OEM. Car was purchased new with <20 miles a little over 2 years ago. No modifications to braking system. I have a slow leak in my rear left snow tire so I'll have to do some work this weekend anyway. Hopefully it's nothing serious....now that the car is out of warranty.
Old 03-16-2010 | 08:11 AM

very odd that it only does it when it's wet out...
Old 03-16-2010 | 08:17 AM

i think our cars take dot 4 rated brake fluid and i seem to remember reading somewhere that the change interval was 2 years regardless of mileage, just check the fluid journals in "under the hood." Actually i don't know...

here is the fluid guide

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=358505
Old 03-16-2010 | 11:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i change out my rotors and pads on the front this winter, i have 45,000 on the clock, although they appeared from a quick look to have life left they were spent, i suspect you need new pads and rotors and certainly a brake bleed, these things do not go on forever without maintenance, even if they are honda built!