S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Redlight stopping

Old 12-10-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RazorV3
use a combination of engine and wheel braking as you slosw down for a redlight.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
Old 12-10-2003, 04:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I think SuzukaBilly is referring to whether the clutch should be engaged while you are waiting for the light to turn green.

When you have the clutch pedal depressed, there is no wear on the clutch plate or pressure plate, but the throwout bearing is spinning at the same RPM as the engine. This bearing does not get any more lubrication than it was given before it was installed. If it spins for long periods of time (especially at high speeds), it will get hot and eventually it will dry out. In time, it can fail.

The throwout bearing gets replaced when you replace the clutch. So if you get say, 30,000 miles on the clutch, you don't want the throwout bearing to go before the clutch goes out. If you are very easy on your clutch and can get 80,000 miles on it, then "riding the clutch" can cause the T/O bearing to go before the clutch, resulting in an early clutch job.

For most drivers, it really doesn't matter because the clutch will outlast the T/O bearing either way. In my case, my daily drivers have been econoboxes that I've gotten well over 100,000 miles on the clutches. Out of habit, I try to be kind to my T/O bearings so that I don't have to do a clutch job before it is necessary. And since I'm in the habit of putting it in neutral and taking my foot off the clutch when sitting at a red light, I do the same with my S2000.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:42 PM

I use a combination of engine braking and brakes to come to a stop and have never had to replace a clutch in any of my cars (before I traded them in or sold them still in good condition) I also wait at a stop light with the clutch depressed, tranny in 1st ready to go at a seconds notice in case I need to get out of the way of some beater not paying attention at the light and rear-ending me. (I have seen this happen to a friend of mine sitting in neutral and couldn't get out of the way in time) Wear on T/O bearing is minimal (how long is a red light ~ 1-2 mins tops?) and much cheaper to replace than repairing the whole rear end of the vehicle or worse ....your life.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by ronnuke
I use a combination of engine braking and brakes to come to a stop and have never had to replace a clutch in any of my cars (before I traded them in or sold them still in good condition) I also wait at a stop light with the clutch depressed, tranny in 1st ready to go at a seconds notice in case I need to get out of the way of some beater not paying attention at the light and rear-ending me. (I have seen this happen to a friend of mine sitting in neutral and couldn't get out of the way in time) Wear on T/O bearing is minimal (how long is a red light ~ 1-2 mins tops?) and much cheaper to replace than repairing the whole rear end of the vehicle or worse ....your life.
thats a very good point
Old 12-10-2003, 05:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
Old 12-10-2003, 05:33 PM

Braking with the engine involves an extra clutch engagement, and mechanical stress on the gears
I'm not sure how downshifting while braking can cause any undue stress on the gears. Not only does it help slow down the car, but it's also good technique to be in the right gear in case you need to get on the gas. Besides, every automatic transmission on the road does this for you so I highly doubt it's harmful.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:59 PM

Old 12-10-2003, 06:01 PM

Old 12-10-2003, 08:49 PM

if u revmatch when downshifting, there is almost no extra "wear and tear" at all.

Quick Reply: Redlight stopping