S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Recommend Changing my own oil?- never done it before...wonder why you all do?

Old 07-25-2003, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brantshali
[B]To be honest, if saving money is your reason for changing your own oil...don't bother.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:49 PM

I agree with the replies that say change it not to save money but to because you want to. I started doing it because I was a poor student. Then I noticed I enjoyed it. It's the other side "benefits" that are nice with doing your own auto service.

1.You really get confidence in doing other things on the car. I.E - replacing alternators, starters, spark plugs, mods, etc.

2. Now I have a whole set of tools, etc that I would've ended up paying in labor costs if all the stuff was done at shops. Obviously when you go somewhere to have stuff done your paying for their tools.

3. You would not believe how happy you make friends/family/neighbors when you can actually help them fix something on their cars.

Just my $.02.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Part of the fun of owning a sportscar is being involved with it and doing some of your own work on it. I am not suggesting that you become a master mechanic, I am certainly not one, but somethings, like changing your own oil, increases the fun of the sportscar experience.

First, you should always check to see if xviper has done a DIY writeup on the topic. In this case (oil changes) he has. Read it and follow it. Having xviper along is a very smart thing to do. His write ups are like having a mechanic by your side.

Next, consider buying a Fumoto Oil Valve It makes changing the oil simple. Mine (pictured here) is with the nipple. More info at www.fumotovalve.com

Other then the valve, your only investment in tools is the cost of an oil pan, a ratchet wrench, an oil filter wrench (to fit on the ratchet). The oil and filter are your only other expenses.

Oh yes, make sure to recycle the used oil. We have an obligation to the environment.

Have fun. Be involved with your car.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Thoe99

I would understand your point of view on a regular oil change, but we're not talking cheap for a synthetic oil change.
Believe it or not, I run Mobil1 in my Miata, so I understand how expensive it can be to pay someone to do it. I still say don't change your own oil just to save money...do it because you like to do it. In the grand scheme of things you're not saving that much money and it's not worth the headache if you don't enjoy it.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brantshali
[B]

Believe it or not, I run Mobil1 in my Miata, so I understand how expensive it can be to pay someone to do it.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by Thoe99

I would understand your point of view on a regular oil change, but we're not talking cheap for a synthetic oil change.
I bring my own oil and the dealer uses it. No worrying about if they used the correct oil and I choose the oil, not who they have a contract with. They charge me about $14.00 for the filter, labor and disposal.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to change my own oil with drive-up ramps until I bought a Prelude that was too low to work with the ramps. Then I got lazy and let the dealer do it. Especially for the S, I let the Honda dealer do it so that if there is a goof up such as defective filter that destroys the engine somebody is liable. However, I liked doing it.

I do change my wheels back and forth from winter wheels/tires to summer wheels/tires on all three cars (my wife's Accord, my Prelude and my S). This takes more work than the oil but I do not have to get under the car. I have a floor jack and a torque wrench to do it. While it is some work, I think it is more convenient than transporting four mounted tires to the dealership or the tire shop and waiting for them to do the work.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HI SPEEDR
[B]Just bring it to Honda and let them do it.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by geezer
I took my car to my local Honda dealer who managed to overtorque the filter and drain bolt...
don't be surprised that the filter was simply tightened to specs. unless you have herculean hand/grip strengh, you aren't going to get the filter on or off without a wrench.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:48 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

If you do a search, I believe that you will find more posts about the Oil Filter coming loose, than the Oil Drain Bolt!!!

I would never trust the method of using the numbers printed on the oil filter, or the method of "hand tightening."

I hope that most owners of an F20C engine understand the importance of torquing all nuts and bolts.

The Oil Filter should be treated just as a nut or bolt, as it is threaded onto the engine!

The torque specification from the Honda Factory is 16 foot-pounds for the Oil Filter. I have never heard of a filter deforming (caused by over-tightening), or coming loose when torqued to the correct specification.

Honda Special Tool #07912-6110001 is the proper tool to install and remove the F20C Oil Filter.

I highly recommend that you do it yourself. And if you are going to do it yourself, then why not do it right?

By the way, when was the last time you saw a mechanic torque the filter, when performing an oil change!

-Pete

Quick Reply: Recommend Changing my own oil?- never done it before...wonder why you all do?