S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rebuild, Replace, or Swap? or move on?

Old 05-12-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild, Replace, or Swap? or move on?

Spent a few hours reading... looking for some advice... motor is fried, spun a bearing, probably bent a rod (will no more Monday or tuesday when motor gets pulled). Can someone please confirm that the engine needs to be pulled from the car to do this. I have a high confidence level in the tech that will be working on it but at a cost of over 4 months of mortgage payments I want to be sure. From my reading this sort of motor failure is very commonplace. So that is my problem... spend what to me is a small fortune $3k+ to get my car back to stock ($3k = no improvement), replace with ap1 or ap2, or swap.

Problems I have:

rebuild: leaves me with little confidence that this will not happen again (I've only had the car for 8 months).

Replace: most likely not going this route unless someone could explain to me why this would be a good idea....

Swap: I have never heard of anybody putting anything else under the hood of the S... Why is that? Are there no other options?

Walk away: Friend is a dealer, I could get it patched up and drop it at an Auction, and walk away (I have a truck to drive in the mean time). If I keep it, it is at 50k miles, will need new brakes and new tires as well, Had already talked to my tech about the brakes, was scheduled for the end of this month...
Old 05-12-2006, 11:32 AM

sounds like you wanna get rid of it. just get rid of it and start a new project. probably the easiest way to do it. i personally don't like car with histories. and rebuilding will time and money. if you wanna keep it just get another motor probably easier and about the same cost as rebuilding the motor. and if you are gonna rebuild it it's time to put a turbo or supercharger on. and i dun think any other motor other than f20 or f22 will fit on that.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:05 PM

If deep inside you are frustrated with the S, move on. I would recommend, if funds allow, sleeve it, build it, and blow it (FI). Its a totally different animal and only augments the fun factor. I liked the car NA, I love the car FI..

Good luck.

Erick
Old 05-12-2006, 01:26 PM
dmz

If you can get rid of it without loosing money. Do it. You can always buy another S later.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Walk away...
Old 05-12-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

teach yourself to do the rebuild..save mucho money. I rebuilt my 1st motor after a spun bearing with nothing more than a bentley service manual and a lacking supply of tools