S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rear window replacement

Old 09-10-2001, 02:10 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,287 Likes on 992 Posts

Honda will replace a defective rear window under warranty. I've had 3 replaced now. The problem is that the replacement windows are crap. Each of mine have developed foggy areas because of improper/incomplete lamination of the 2 separate plastic sheets, causing air to get in between them. I wish I'd never replaced the 1st one.
Old 09-14-2001, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here's my issue: My rear window is fine as far as bubbles and scratches go. I'm able to get it clear as day. Problem is that there is this horizontal "line", I assume from folding up so many times, that has made itself permanent. That impairs my rear view BIG TIME because it distorts anything that is viewed thru it. It's not cloudy or scratched. As a matter of fact, it comes out just as clear as the rest of the window. It just distorts everything that is viewed thru it. Seeing how many problems everyone's been having with the window issue, does anyone know if Honda is planning a recall on this or are they just gonna keep replacing rear windows?
Old 09-14-2001, 10:25 PM

Recall, now there is something that if we all work hard enough we can get honda to do to fix this problem with the prw!
Old 09-15-2001, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by TurboVtk
Recall, now there is something that if we all work hard enough we can get honda to do to fix this problem with the prw!
lvs2k gave the following address in another thread regarding complaints:

American Honda Motor Company, Inc.
Richard Colliver
Executive Vice President, Automobile Sales Division
P.O. Box 834070
Richardson, TX 75083

If this address is appropriate, I suggest that each and every one of us should send a letter vehemently protesting their handling of this situation and demanding a recall to resolve the problem.

Is there anyone out there that want's to draft and post a sample letter?

[COLOR=indigo]
S2K Owners Unite!!!!!
Old 09-15-2001, 07:00 AM

Does anyone have a template that we/I could use? I'll draft it and email it out to whoever asks for it. Lemme know and I'll get to work on it. Otherwise, I'll just make one up on my own and then send it out.
Old 09-15-2001, 07:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2K4C-man!
[B]Does anyone have a template that we/I could use?
Old 09-15-2001, 07:10 AM

Knaga,

Perfect!! I'll get to work on it asap. Personally, I haven't had any problems with Honda, at least not the dealership that I've been dealing with. So I'll probably edit that portion in my letter. Obviously if any of you have had problems, make sure to make that a point. The driver side window problem that was discussed in this forum somewhere made me aware of the problem. I brought it in and they fixed it up right the first time. I can't believe there are dealerships that would treat their consumers the way some of you all have been treated. Anyhow, I'll get to work on this and send it out to any interested parties. I assume this'll be everyone so I may have my work cut out for me when I start getting requests. I'll probably just put it up on my personal website so that everyone can download it. STAY TUNED!!
Old 09-15-2001, 07:17 AM

Very nice!!! I thank you for your hard work, thought and determination in advance. Please let me know if you need anything. I think, once the letter is complete, we should start a new thread to advertise this action so that we can get maximum subscribership.
Old 09-15-2001, 06:44 PM

I'm getting the bubbling or dimples in the rear window. They started appearing about a month ago and have been getting worse since. I only have 6,500 miles on the car and am frustrated with this. I have tried Plexus, hot water..etc. I guess the next step is to see if they will replace it, but after reading The Raptors post I'm not so sure now. Knaga.. You have good points in terms of writing the letter. I also think safety is a key issue here. It's definitely critical to be able to see clearly through the rear window (not distorted car shapes).

I've never owned a convertible before and am wondering if other other cars...i.e. Miata.. have problems with bubbles or dimples in the rear plastic window. I've got a friend with a Miata (and he's owned it for 3/4 years approx) and there are no dimples/bubbles in the plastic window.
Old 09-15-2001, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmmmmmmm Do your bubbles or dimples look like mine? Have you been using a tube across the window? There's a TSB from AHM which recommends using a specific tube made for Miatas.

My replacement went pretty well except for some scratches to the plastic trim near the doors and a paint scratch near the trim. AHM is replacing the plastic and having a body shop "touch up" the scratch.

Oh well. Tuesday makes these complaints seem so tiny and petty. Don't you agree?

Quick Reply: Rear window replacement