S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rear window replacement

Old 08-31-2001, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bullitt
Did you replace it because of fading or other reasons?

This summer my rear window developed a several lines of bubbles or dimples in the plastic. I don't know what caused it. Don, the upholsterer, thought it was due to delamination in the plastic. It first showed up about a month ago and got worse very rapidly. The lines were permanent. Hot water, soap and water, sunlight and Plexus all had no effect.

This photo kind of shows one of the lines. There were three in the end. One across the top and two across the middle.

Old 08-31-2001, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man- that should've been covered under warranty, no?
Old 08-31-2001, 05:24 PM

Last night someone tried to break into my S2000 by tearing a hole in the roof.
Both doors were still locked and nothing was missing from the inside, so the thief either had short arms or was scared off by something. Damned hooligans and their hooliganism!

Since I now need a new soft top and the word on the street is that 2002 S2000s come with a glass rear window, I decided to call my dealer and see if I could get the new for '02 top installed, complements of my insurance co. After a couple of hours the service manager calls me back and says that: (A) No, the '02 soft tops will not be interchangable with earlier S2000s, and (B) Honda is not even sure the glass window will be on the final production version of the '02s yet. The pictures we have seen are prototypes, not production versions.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:28 PM

Jes$% H CHR@#$!!!! I wish they'd make up their minds already; all the literature I've seen says it DEFINITELY has a glass window. I've also been told by my local dealer (Autoway Clearwater, FL) that Honda is the "worst" at telling about their next years models.

Someone tried to steal my car earlier this year by keyholling the lock- I'm pretty certain they weren't trying to just break in because they could've cut the roof like in your case. Anyway, the lock held, and they didn't get in. Had to replace the lcok though. It was at a Hooters in town- was parked in the back. Now I park in the damn fire lane if I have to....
Old 08-31-2001, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by bullitt
Man- that should've been covered under warranty, no?
My bubbled/blistered rear plastic window replacement was 100% covered by warranty with zero hassle.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Guntersmurf
[B]Last night someone tried to break into my S2000 by tearing a hole in the roof.
Old 09-01-2001, 05:32 AM

Awesome it was covered under warranty- good to know.

Dealers and their scarce information are driving me nutz! I have now been to two dealers, who tell me they "won't get the new brochure until after the cars arrive." I've always thought Honda was one of the more organized, together manufacturers- maybe it's just the S2 and them wanting to keep it "unique".
Old 09-01-2001, 12:30 PM

I think the brochures do come later. All the Hondas, not just the S2000s. The dealers have to pay for them too whether they want them or not.

Well, I did a closer inspection today and found some bad scratches in the plastic trim near both passenger and driver's door and some deep scratches in the paint on the driver's side door sill. I know the upholsterer took those pieces off. It looks like he used a screwdriver or something and scratched things up.

He also wiped down almost all my dash and doors and seats with Armorall or something like that. I don't like the feel or the look. You can see it clearly because he missed some spots.

My new window is clear and unbent, but it does flap a bit. I can't remember if any flapping is normal at 80 mph top up. It doesn't make any noise.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iceman
[B]Nobody will know until the '02's are released and inspected by someone on the board.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
[B]I think the brochures do come later.

Quick Reply: Rear window replacement