S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rear end stepping out

Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pickup truck does it much more than my S so I was used to it when I got the S.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's my first RWD car, (my DD also) and it took me a few months--neighborhood of 3-6, to get the instincts down and the correction magnitudes (appropriate tilt angle for corrections) reasonably accurate. i'm not great at it, but i've developed the basic skill set and am much less likely to get in an accident because the tail slides out. by the rule of thumb, i've learned the quick first 80% and am working on the slow last 20%

also, i have the VSA safety net on most of the time--good IMO because i dont ever feel the desire/need to prove my driving ability and correct when i take my wife to dinner.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plokivos,Mar 31 2008, 07:41 AM
once i lost the rear at the dragon few times. it's either you correct it or you die.
I've seen your back-end sliding out a few times.
How are you doing, bro?

Dan
Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrisbert,Mar 31 2008, 12:17 PM
My pickup truck does it much more than my S so I was used to it when I got the S.
Exactly why I love driving my Titan in the winter when the S is in storage...

How soon one gets comfortable with this kind of thing has got to be different for every person. Remember, people my age grew up with RWD because there was no such thing as FWD, so we learned about all of this oversteer stuff right from the begining.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,Mar 31 2008, 12:46 PM
I've seen your back-end sliding out a few times.
How are you doing, bro?

Dan
good! you?

i still need to upload my pictures. They're halarious.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=plokivos,Mar 31 2008, 09:09 AM]i disagree with "can't teach yourself".
Old 03-31-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ace123,Mar 31 2008, 09:42 AM
it's my first RWD car, (my DD also) and it took me a few months--neighborhood of 3-6, to get the instincts down and the correction magnitudes (appropriate tilt angle for corrections) reasonably accurate. i'm not great at it, but i've developed the basic skill set and am much less likely to get in an accident because the tail slides out. by the rule of thumb, i've learned the quick first 80% and am working on the slow last 20%

also, i have the VSA safety net on most of the time--good IMO because i dont ever feel the desire/need to prove my driving ability and correct when i take my wife to dinner.
its weird even with vsa the S can still produce oversteer and instictually i'll correct with the steering and throttle and that's where the vsa kills the car cause it cuts off the throttle.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got comfortable by learning how to drift my s2000. Learning how to induce and correct oversteer through drifting makes you more aware of what could cause it and also builds the instinctive reactions in your brain and muscle memory to know what to do incase it does happen accidently.

Oversteer can happen real fast when you don't expect it, but I think those that are capable of and knowledgable of how to induce it intentionally would know to watch out for it.

Whether you agree or not, it's a shame that not many do (mostly because they are stubborn) .... Drifting is a valuable skill to have when driving a rear wheel drive car...even if you aren't intentionally drifting.

I say stubborn because generaly speaking...people just like to hate on drifting, but give it time, the value in what you learn from it is there.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver,Mar 31 2008, 01:44 PM
here lies the catch-22 oversteer is not something a car does "naturally" because the car is losing traction. until recently oversteer in any form of racing was bad because of reduced times and same goes for understeer, race drivers are always trying to find the perfect set-up come race day, and because there is no such thing when your driving the limits of a race car there are drivers that have an oversteering style (montoya, hamilton) and you see it right away especially when the tv camera is showing the driver cockpit.

now with advent of drifting, drifters are able to control oversteer and yes that's something that you can teach and learn but for someone who experiences "sudden" oversteer for the 1st time not "induce" oversteer (drifters) is what i refer to as driving instinct to opposite lock the wheel to regain control.

driving manual, heel toe/ double clutching, rev-matching would be something like a newborn walking, with enough practice it can become somewhat instinctual but oversteering is like falling, where if you fall you don't have to think to stick out your arms and hands to guard your face from injury, you just do it automatically. if you ever inline skated or put on ice skates for the 1st time how badly did your wrist feel afterwards?

do i feel comfortable when oversteer happens, NO and that's why my heart beats higher when it happens compared to normal driving. its like saying, i feel comfortable falling and scraping my face, who says that if not they're not a skater and i guess you can use the same analogy for a drifter.
oversteer is something that RWD does naturally. It's a common sense that if you have rwd and if you load power on to it, it'll go crazy.

have you seen babies fall? They fall straight with their face on to the ground because they haven't learn how to put the arm out instead. that's how they learn, because it hurt a lot the first time.

it's just all about training your body to react.

I agree that practice losing control is the best way to know when it's going to happen. Just knowing about it isn't going to be enough, you have to know when it might happen before it happens. Like if you throttle during mid-turn but not steadily (even if), the rear is going to kick out.

basically whenever you're on throttle and your steering wheel isn't straight it's got possibilities of kicking out, because simply, your rear drive wants to go straight but you're telling the car to turn.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

In my sense comfortable means you do not get overly excited where you heart rate goes from 70 to 140 or something.

Now for me when it does step out it wakes me up slightly from like 70-90 but nothing like right when i got it

Quick Reply: Rear end stepping out