S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rear end stepping out

Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rear end stepping out

How long did it take before you got comfortable with the rear end coming out?

It took me about 1.5 years before i got use to the end stepping out and controlling it pretty comfortable.

I am talking about accidental and not induced oversteer.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get more comfortable by doing it intentionally at autocross or parking lots, or drift practice
Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by boyguan,Mar 31 2008, 11:29 AM
How long did it take before you got comfortable with the rear end coming out?.
took me till i pulled out in front of the dealer's lot....
Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

drift practice is one thing because you are knowingly doing it.

when it just happens.

i dont get startled anymore and just curious about everyone else.

my first rwd car
Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once i lost the rear at the dragon few times. it's either you correct it or you die.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i think correcting sudden oversteer comes down to driving instinct and wheel time with the car. its completely natural to opposite lock the steering during oversteer its not something that you have to teach yourself, your body and mind will do it no matter what. you can teach yourself to control it for an extended period of time (drifting) but i can never say i'm comfortable with oversteer after driving rwd cars the past 4 years because as soon as i say it all it takes is one bad turn i misjudge and poof.

if you drive with a smooth supple style you should never induce oversteer. the only time i felt oversteer is if i drive beyond the limit and that usually doesn't translate to faster times.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver,Mar 31 2008, 08:10 AM
i think correcting sudden oversteer comes down to driving instinct and wheel time with the car. its completely natural to opposite lock the steering during oversteer its not something that you have to teach yourself, your body and mind will do it no matter what. you can teach yourself to control it for an extended period of time (drifting) but i can never say i'm comfortable with oversteer after driving rwd cars the past 4 years because as soon as i say it all it takes is one bad turn i misjudge and poof.

if you drive with a smooth supple style you should never induce oversteer. the only time i felt oversteer is if i drive beyond the limit and that usually doesn't translate to faster times.
I think you might benefit from drifting occasionally then it might bother you less once you get used to the idea that oversteer can usually be easily corrected. good luck!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 AM

it should come natural as a reaction and not something you should think about it.

it should always be countersteer than back to the original position.

just go to auto-x and lose control a lot.

i love doing drift 180 u-turns. that's my little fun for the day.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver,Mar 31 2008, 11:10 AM

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 AM

i disagree with "can't teach yourself". with enough muscle memory, it becomes natural, not because you're born with this amazing driving ability. that includes ability to judge how much correction and knowing what car needs instantly.

it's just like learning how to drive a manual transmission or toe and heel, left foot braking. You do it long enough, you don't have to think about it when you do need to do it.

Quick Reply: Rear end stepping out