S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

rear end noise?

Old 12-25-2000, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been experiencing a slight metallic noise that seemed to come from the clutch on wind down around 4-5k and I thought perhaps there was some work that might be required - seemed to sound like some of the complaints that required the supposed updated clutch disk.

I spoke to my service rep about the problem. He knew about the 1-2 grind and wanted to know if I wanted the fix. I thought about it and figured even though I did not currently have the grind (thought it might have happened once when weather was warmer on a hard rapid 9k shift but not really obvious)it would probably be better to have any updated parts.

The dealer agreed to order the gear set etc. and i left my car for them to listen to the metallic noise I thought was from the clutch. Dealer did not seem to know about any tsb for an updated disc. Anyway, hours later I get a call from the rep who says that they heard the noise, drained the fluid from the rear end, differential fluid I guess, and found a lot of metal pieces in the fluid. Said this noise was not the clutch.

They replaced the fluid and it got much worse. The dealer thinks I need a new rear end, ordered lots of parts and directed me to return after the holidays so there is less down time. Said the fix may take up to a week and sugggested I speak to customer relations about a rental car. CR approved a rental for me when the parts arrive and I took the car home.

Well I can now say I definately notice a loud undulating noise comming from the rear end on light application of throttle. My car has less that 5k miles and I wonder if anyone else has this problem. Can't wait to be back to normal, the car is otherwise awesome in every respect.
Evan
Old 12-25-2000, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beware of a dying differential.
Don't drive.
Follow this thread: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...hp?threadid=251

Old 12-25-2000, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I understand it, Vapor's car is once again experiencing increasing rear end noise, even after the replacement...
Old 12-25-2000, 07:43 AM

yeah, I would love to get a copy of the paperwork, part #s etc.
Old 12-25-2000, 08:06 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This sounds like the same problem my car had. It would make a noise under light loads. Honda replaced the rear Diff and it took care of it. I believe this was the part #: 41200-PCZ-003 Carrier A.

Honda also claimed that "so far" they felt all rear end failures had been due to abuse. My car has not been abused and my service rep and tech agreed.

BTW, I am pleased with the results of all the work that I've had done on my car.

Good luck.
Old 12-25-2000, 08:08 AM
CG

Originally posted by Sondra S2K:
As I understand it, Vapor's car is once again experiencing increasing rear end noise, even after the replacement...
Wasn't there someone else who had a Diff replaced and had the same problem again within a few months?

Old 12-25-2000, 08:31 AM

well I hope they don't try that with me, my car has definately not been abused. I have almost 160k on my accord coupe 5spd with no such prob.s stilll on second clutch. Thanks for the part #. Did you have any clutch or tranny work?
Old 12-25-2000, 01:14 PM
CG

Originally posted by elviscos:
Did you have any clutch or tranny work?
Yes, they also replaced the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear sets along with the clutch and flywheel. My 2nd gear problem wasn't as bad as some of the others I've heard about. Sometimes I seemed to be locked or blocked out of 3rd gear. I have no idea why they replaced the 1st gear set. I do think that the problems I had were all related, cause and effect so to speak.

My car has an early build date (9/99) and drives much better now than it did when it was new. BTW, they backed off of the abuse issue after talking to me and my service reps.
Old 12-25-2000, 08:14 PM

I've been complaining about this differential noise since day I first drove my S.

Up until now, I've had the same problem that CG had. My diff. was replaced at 2000 miles after I complained and complained. A week later, I noticed the same noise, again from the differential, but this time at different speeds.

I now have 12,000 miles and have been to the dealership atleast 5 different times, each time leaving my car for atleast a week, only to hear them say, "we don't hear a noise" or "that noise is normal".

Aparently it wasn't "normal" enough to prevent replacement of my original differential.

The first time, the so called "technician" was required to drive a new car from the showroom floor, and then mine to determine if there was indeed a noise. He concluded that there was, and a differential was shipped a couple days later, and then installed. He then told me of the metal particles and shavings he found on the diff.'s magnetic drain plug and in the oil.

The noise progressively get's louder and louder. It's definately whine from the gears in the diff.

To this day they still claim there is no noise that they can hear.

I had TSB - 55 work done about a month ago, with questionable results.

In the past two weeks, I've been studying a new noise, and I believe that I've identified it. I have the clunking and popping noise in my differential, which are the same symptoms that led to the differential failure in Sondra's brother's S2000.

This is getting rediculous.

Paul
Old 12-26-2000, 05:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Harvey Jr:
[B]In the past two weeks, I've been studying a new noise, and I believe that I've identified it.

Quick Reply: rear end noise?