S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rattle from soft top in 06 is driving me NUTS...

Old 01-13-2006, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had mine for almost 3 yrs, and its always made noises.

I just assumed, well, stiff suspension + frame w/softtop = noise.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:09 AM

my car makes so many noises but i think that comes from the coilovers, yea blast the stereo, u will never know
Old 01-13-2006, 07:54 AM

MY05 with the same ticking in the roof at the rear window, right side When you press against the window from inside, the ticking stops.

Dealer cannot find it, they did the 'thing' in the pictures but that does not resolve it.

They sprayed all the rubbers with some stuff, no solution.

Then they thought it was the plastic element for heating the rear window... No luck.

So I try to live with it

When I stand behind the car and I press on the roof where the black bottom latch supports the rear window in the right corner, it exactly makes the same ticks I hear all the time...

But no solution yet. Thought about buying a MY06 to solve it, but it seems I will have to wait for at least the MY07 if that will ever see the daylight. OR... I should maybe perhaps who knows get myself a nice quiet Z4 Nope, that is definitely not an option...

But you know, keeping the revs beyond 8K makes the ticking obsolete
Old 01-13-2006, 09:40 AM

lionheart are you sure its the rear window not the part of the frame above the right window?? i posted how to fix the frame tick above. if its the rear window, i dont see how it could tick since its just sewn into fabric or however its attached, so its kind of like floating not really touching anything it could tick against.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With my top down, the "hooks" in the latches actually move slightly when I hit bumps or other vibrations and rattle up a storm. You can check those too.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've come to realize that if you want the S2000 to be "silent" you just need to go top down all the time. The car is at it's quietest when the top is down.

I have some hardtop squeaks that I was trying to fix for over a year that I was finally able to get rid of, but now I have a quieter noise that is noticeable from behind the seats.

I've come to understand that you can't win with this car. It's a stiff, tight convertible sports car. Bound to make some noise...
Old 01-13-2006, 11:30 AM

I put felt tape just as "SIIKNR" showed you in his pictures... this really quieted the top down. The latches however, squeak like all hell...

the solution I use for that is... more felt tape put inside the latch itself (to keep it from rattling). You will find a small receess in the part of the latch that bolts onto the top (not the swinging part), at the far end toward the trunk of the car... a lot of felt tape shoved in there quiets the latches right down.

PM me for pics if you need a better idea...
Old 01-14-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jan 12 2006, 10:13 PM
Well, unfortunately, this is the cost of getting a convertible sports car. You can try to isolate the noises, and you may get lucky. But in general, I suggest you turn the stereo up a bit.
I disagree, i have had a 2001 mustang gt with no rattles and a 2005 mazda miata with no rattles, there is no reason why this car should either. I have heard of no issues with the new porsche boxster 's' which has a more rigid chassis. NOT acceptable.

I am going to take it to the dealer next weekend. The squeeking is putting me in a fowl mood every time i drive the car.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LABrit,Jan 14 2006, 12:53 PM
I disagree, i have had a 2001 mustang gt with no rattles and a 2005 mazda miata with no rattles, there is no reason why this car should either. I have heard of no issues with the new porsche boxster 's' which has a more rigid chassis. NOT acceptable.

I am going to take it to the dealer next weekend. The squeeking is putting me in a fowl mood every time i drive the car.
Some people get lucky and have no rattles in their convertible, but the vast majority experience some creaks and rattles.

My 01 S2000 was perfectly silent. My 04 S2000 has not been.

The problem is that you've just got so many moveable parts, and with roof that isn't joined permenantely, you have areas that can expand and contract against each other at varying rates depending on the temperature, so all of these things can attribute to the occasional rattle.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by koala,Jan 14 2006, 11:07 AM
Some people get lucky and have no rattles in their convertible, but the vast majority experience some creaks and rattles.

My 01 S2000 was perfectly silent. My 04 S2000 has not been.

The problem is that you've just got so many moveable parts, and with roof that isn't joined permenantely, you have areas that can expand and contract against each other at varying rates depending on the temperature, so all of these things can attribute to the occasional rattle.
It is not an occasional rattle, otherwise i would keep my mouth shut. It is ever other second i hear a squeek from it, and the even more annoying thing is that it DOESN'T happen over bumps or acceleration, it is totally random.

Quick Reply: Rattle from soft top in 06 is driving me NUTS...