S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rattle from soft top in 06 is driving me NUTS...

Old 01-12-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rattle from soft top in 06 is driving me NUTS...

I keep hearing a squeeking sound coming from the right hand side of the convertible top when the roof is up. It seems to be coming from the middle bar above your head amd where the roof is attached to it, is there anything i can do about it - irt is beginning to REALLY piss me off
Old 01-12-2006, 10:38 AM

just bought my 06 last week as well and i have a similar issue. its not really a squeecking sound but a small ticking noise as if a small plastic thing is tapping a metal. its not there all the time and the noise is not so loud so i dont really consider it a problem but i do notice it sometimes. maybe you should take it to the dealer and see if they can help.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:45 AM

I have an 05 (purchased dec 1st) with only 700 miles on it, and I have the exact sound.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:48 AM

I have an 05 (purchased dec 1st) with only 700 miles on it, and I have the exact sound.
its been exactly one week since i bought it and i have 700 miles on it. lol
Old 01-12-2006, 10:59 AM

just so we eliminate the obvious stuff first ...

- could the squeaking sound be your seatbelt rubbing against your seat, by any chance? this happens to quite a few of us

- is the ticking sound the passenger seat belt buckle thingy tapping against the hard plastic panel next to the seat? try either buckling the seatbelt or inserting it into the guide attached to the seat itself to see if the tapping goes away
Old 01-12-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ticking is usually the rear window... A flap of the roof taps against the rubber liner at the bottom of the window. Someone recomemded putting a small square of weather striper there to prevent it. haven't done this yet but it seems like that should resolve it.

The roof issue is usually related to the latch getting a little loose. A piece of rubber tubing inserted over the "hook" in the latch takes care of this.

Your cars are very new so I'm a bit surprised you're already having these issues. They usually take a year or so to develop. I think the cold temps of winter make these more apparent. As it warms up I think your problems will go away as seals expand a bit.

Good luck
Old 01-12-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BerlinaBlackS2kguy,Jan 12 2006, 11:59 AM
just so we eliminate the obvious stuff first ...

- could the squeaking sound be your seatbelt rubbing against your seat, by any chance? this happens to quite a few of us

- is the ticking sound the passenger seat belt buckle thingy tapping against the hard plastic panel next to the seat? try either buckling the seatbelt or inserting it into the guide attached to the seat itself to see if the tapping goes away
dude, did u read the post? he described where its coming from.

Take it back to the dealer would be my suggestion. maybe needs some tightenings/ lubrication. Best thing to do before u do it though, is to stake out a rough road near your dealer so that you can reproduce the sound every time, then take a service writer or tech with you to show him the sound. If you just leave it at the dealer, without showing them, they will porabaly just write it off and do nothing, saying 'could not reproduce owners concern' or some shit.

option 2, leave the top down
Old 01-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Take them back to the dealer!!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should change your thread to read "softop" or "top" instead of "hood".

Anyways, I did a write up on this but I can't find it.. Here are the photos from the write up.

After a week or two the metal from the softop just touches enough that it will "click", "tick", or "creak".....

If you put the felt dots where I have them in the pictures it will solve the problem of the softop noise.

The suggestions of the seat belt are also valid.

Tim

Old 01-12-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by r_duff,Jan 12 2006, 04:12 PM
dude, did u read the post? he described where its coming from.
sometimes your ears can play tricks on you; just trying to eliminate the easy fixes first

Quick Reply: Rattle from soft top in 06 is driving me NUTS...