S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

rattle, buzzing sound coming from dash

Old 03-16-2001, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a rattle/buzzing sound coming from the passenger side dash area. It makes the sound whenever I go over a bump or run over the reflective lane dividers (small) in the road. I get the same sound (more of a buzzing sound) when I'm decelerating while in gear (between 2,000-3,000 rpm). The sound seems to be coming from somewhere inside the passenger side dash area (underneath airbag cover, maybe towards the defrost vents). I have about 700 miles on my car now and the rattle has gotten worse within the last several days.

Has anyone experienced this? I've seen the postings on the convertible top latch noises, but I don't think this is where my noise is coming from.

Just thought I would see if anyone knew what might be causing this. Any advice is welcome. I definitely don't want my dealer tearing apart my dash to find the noise, but I may have no choice. Hoping it goes away....
Old 03-16-2001, 10:45 AM

Mine sounded like the dash but was actually the rearview mirror. I couldn't believe it at first because it sounded like it was just inside the middle of the dash. Try holding the base of the mirror when you hear the vibration.

My dealer replaced the mirror and I have had 0 rattles since.
Old 03-16-2001, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I have this same noise, but only from the decellerating. I haven't noticed a sound from the dash area, but will listen for it next time.

I went to Weseloh Honda, very respectable service department. And the service person there told me that this was a normal sound and I read somewhere else that this is what is called gear backlash. I don't know why it's only pronounced only in a certain rev range and not in upper or very low range (1000-2000k RPM). But I know of at least two others who have this noise.

The service person also said that this sound will start to get less noisy with mileage.

I'll compare notes with SteveUCI the weekend of the 24th to see if he has the same noise. I'll let you know

Henry

[edit] BTW I have 750Mi on my car and I started noticing the sound at 400-500mi.
Old 03-16-2001, 11:02 AM

I had a rattle in my dash at about 500-750 miles. Especially prominent at 2500rpm on a decellerating/trailing throttle. It was really annoying and like you, wasn't overjoyed at the prospect of the service department tearing apart my dash to get to it!

If I banged the middle of the dash above the airbag and to the left, I could hear the rattle.

Somehow...it just went away by itself? I am at 1300 miles now. I am not game to bang the dash again to see though!
Old 03-16-2001, 11:42 AM

Sime,

Sounds like you had the same problem that I am experiencing. I'm glad your noise has gone away -- this gives me hope! I did try banging on my dash a little but couldn't really hear anything. I didn't really want to bang that hard though. I'm hoping that this will go away eventually.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Old 03-16-2001, 12:05 PM

I've got a dash rattle on rougher roads...

coming from about right dead center by the defrost vents... I've found that if I pull up where the dash meets the defrost vent panel, the rattle goes away...

might try wedging something there like a toothpick to see if it cures it. If it does, just paint the toothpick black and stick it back in...

I have 3 rattles (interior, not driveline noise)... 1 of them was with the top down only. Found it, where the metal frame of the top folds over itself, there are 2 pads that contact each other. I put some electrical tape on each of those pads and the noise is gone...

2nd rattle is the dash... diagnose, needs to be fixed.

3rd rattle is on the passenger side, hence harder to diagnose. I've pulled the sill panel and the rear inner panel (where you snap the elastic tonneau cover strap). Still rattles. Either its the door panel or the seat itself. My seat seems to vibrate on a lot of roads... almost oscillates...

hope that helps, and maybe someone can help me
Old 03-16-2001, 01:07 PM

I too had a similar noise and it was the rearview mirror. I could duplicate the sound by just tapping the mirror with my finger. I removed the mirror and re installed it; no more noise. The noise appeared to have been in the mounting spring.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:14 PM

The noise I'm having is pretty loud inside the car. Not sure if it is coming from the rearview mirror but I will definitely check it out. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2001, 07:18 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds to me like a trip to your dealer is in your future...
Old 03-17-2001, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by Honda Fan
I have a rattle/buzzing sound coming from the passenger side dash area
When I was installing my Valentine 1, I noticed that one of the plastic panels at the door is missing a plastic plug. That particular panel would come loose once in a while and make a noise. The dealer is ordering that plug for me. Unfortunately there is another rattle in the car, but I think I will live with it. Though the service department was friendly, the mechanic sat in the car, and dirty the seat.

Quick Reply: rattle, buzzing sound coming from dash