S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rating Blizzaks in the snow/ice

Old 02-07-2003, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it just snowed last night/this morning here in Jersey. I'm told that it's 8 inches, but it hasn't stopped snowing yet. How come I didn't buy those Blizzaks this week???? It doesn't look like the S will be going anywhere this weekend anyway.

That question that I asked a couple posts earlier, if it was worth getting winter tires for the remaining weeks, well... it has just been answered. I think its time to go look for some Blizzaks, but then again there is that problem with clearance...
Old 02-07-2003, 05:36 PM

I slid off the road and spun in 1/2 inch of snow while going 17 mph, and this coming home from an autocross! The S is in the garage, and I'm attacking with my '82 Subaru wagon shod with Arctic Alpins. Still gets real interesting when the plows skim the snow off to the ice! But tonight it's supposed to be minus 20, so the traction should be awesome. I've had Blizzak 50's, and feel the Alpins are better in ice. As far as soft sidewalls, where I live, if you drive fast enough to discern the difference, you'll either hit a tree or a rock wall. Sometimes just getting there is all that counts.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01:
Bassman, who used to post here regularly...

Barry, thanks for remembering me!

I'm still stopping by every now and then, but I've been a bit too busy with work and music so I've had to neglect S2KI... I'll probably pick it up again come spring.

Regarding the winter tire discussion, I can only say it's crucial to choose performance winter tires with very stiff side walls, like the Blizzak models you mentioned. Other more comfort oriented tires make the car undriveable, it sort of feels like sliding around on four stiff brushes.

All summer tires loose their grip in cold temperatures, and the SO's are worse than most, I find them slippery even on a cool summer day before they are warmed up by driving. People, don't even try to use those for winter driving, you'll spin out in the first corner.

'til later!
Old 02-08-2003, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BassMan
Bassman, who used to post here regularly...

Barry, thanks for remembering me!
How could I forget. Your original snow tire thread is still the best.

How close to the Arctic Circle is Stockholm?
Old 02-08-2003, 04:44 AM

How close to the Arctic Circle is Stockholm?

Not close at all, Stockholm isn't even halfway up Sweden and the Artic Circle is in the very north, it's probably over 800 km distance. Funny thing though (I originally come from up north, about three-quarters up) winter driving on *real* winter roads (cold frozen snow) is much easier, really cold snow has very good grip. Stockholm on the other hand is treacherous, one day it's cold, the next it's slush, the day before yesterday it was raining despite freezing temperatures on the ground (over 100 cars in accidents that day but luckily no fatalities).