S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rating Blizzaks in the snow/ice

Old 02-02-2003, 06:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, I have to differ on this subject. But, maybe for different reasons than others. I will not drive my S2000 in the winter. Yes, I can afford a good set of wheels and snow tires. And, I am sure the car is an absolute ball to drive in the snow. But, with traffic the way it is here in Indy and the way some of these people choose to drive, I am not willing to take the risks of someone else destroying my car. If I did not have to commute every day in rush hour traffic I may have a different opinion. I say take the money you would spend on tires and invest it in a down payment on a beater. JMO.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the amount of money it would have cost me to get a second set of OEM wheels and snow tires, I decided I could buy a beater outright. I spent a tad bit more, but pretty close.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GChambers
I am sure the car is an absolute ball to drive in the snow. But, with traffic the way it is here in Indy and the way some of these people choose to drive, I am not willing to take the risks of someone else destroying my car.
I agree, too.

My winter tires are just for days when I get tempted to take it out and enjoy the snow-- with no other vehicles around!!!! which is easy to do in Wyoming but not in Indiana.

A front wheel drive or all wheel drive beater is the way to go in winter. However, in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland, I might drive the snow tire clad S2000 every day.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

While I do not DISAGREE with your "keeping the S safe", not driving it in winter rush hour traffic and getting a beater, there is a humourous side to this tale as well:

I cite an example of another owner near me who bought such a beater. It started out to be a nightmare - poor running, losing oil like there's no tomorrow, mechanical break-downs, bad tires. And this was after it was all checked out. I don't know if the car is "up to snuff" even today but I don't believe the owner has complete confidence in it. This is not the feeling I'd want to have when driving in sub-zero weather.
Also, in most large urban centers in the snow belt, the "beater" car happens to be a brand new SUV. (Speaking in Can. $$), The S is my only vehicle so I drive it everywhere, anytime. Sure, I risk a $50K+ car being schmucked by some idiot but I'm far from taking the kind of risk some of these $70K+ SUV owners are taking. The biggest difference is the SUV driver thinks he's invincible and usually it's them that need to be towed out of the ditches.
We have two philosophies at work here:
1 - keep the S parked when the conditions are foul (and it doesn't matter what the reasons are).
2 - Drive it everywhere regardless of the conditions (again, it doesn't matter what the reasons are).
Neither philosophy, for the end user, is any less valid than the other.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]Also, in most large urban centers in the snow belt, the "beater" car happens to be a brand new SUV.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
However, in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland, I might drive the snow tire clad S2000 every day.
That's me Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work (and play) I go Also, Barry, I agree with your *free mounting* bonus from Firestone. I did a quick payback analysis and discovered the extra cost (over tirerack.com) is paid back in the second year, if you switch tires on the OEM rims as I do.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destiny2002
[B]For the amount of money it would have cost me to get a second set of OEM wheels and snow tires, I decided I could buy a beater outright.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by paS2K
That's me Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work (and play) I go
By the way, I grew up in Penn Wynn and Wynnewood. L.M.H.S. class of '65.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Xviper,

I have a bad habit of not reading all the way through threads -- I pick up on a fragment, post a reply to it, and miss other posts that may have dealt already with the matter I posted about. As you recognize, that's what happened in this instance. It was careless on my part.

I watched Paulie drive away from my house last week with snow on the roads and the SO2s on his car, and worn ones at that. The next day, I offered him the hardly used Blizzaks I have in storage. I never drive my car in the snow, but that's because I have a Civic as an alternative.

I fully agree that snow tires (on any car) are essential if you're going to venture out in bad weather during the winter.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
By the way, I grew up in Penn Wynn and Wynnewood. L.M.H.S. class of '65.
OT- I go swimming at LMHS and my two kids graduated from there So how did you get to WY... we have friends in Lander and have visited a couple of times: Casper, Cheyenne, Thermopolis and, of course, Yellowstone and GT NP

PM me if you want to chat more... don't want to be too
Old 02-04-2003, 06:41 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
Rick, I appreciate your explanation and I accept it in good faith.

Quick Reply: Rating Blizzaks in the snow/ice