S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rating Blizzaks in the snow/ice

Old 01-30-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Blizzak LM-22's on my S, and I have to say that with the snow tires the S2000 is one of the better performing sports cars I have driven through Michigan winters. It does not drive like an SUV, but then again no true sports car ever will.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The S2000 is a pure sports car that comes from the factory with dedicated high performance "SUMMER" tires!!!!!!! (NOT all season radials as most other cars) If you are going to use it in winter, you MUST equip it accordingly!!!!!!
I have been driving for almost the same years you have and I have learned you get the proper equipment for your car when the situation dictates.
When properly equipped, this is one of the BEST handling winter cars I have ever owned and I drive in THE worst conditions imaginable and I have owned 33 separate vehicles in my life. And with the exception of a Dodge Viper, I have driven ALL of them every winter. (They don't make snow tires in 335 sizes or I would driven that one, too.)
That having been all said, you want recommendations? Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 in stock sizes or Michelin Alpins also in stock sizes. We had a 4 car drag race on a snow and ice covered parking lot, @ -22*C, (vid to come) testing 3 different kinds of snow tires. We got up to speeds of nearly 60 kph. The Blizzak MZ-01's were marginal the best of these with the Alpins about 1/2 car length behind. The WS-50's would have owned that race.
Here's a short clip that shows one of the "tests" we did:
http://www.eunity.ca/images/tsunami/reverse.mov
click save as and open with QuickTime Viewer.
The S2000, with dedicated snow tires handles exceptionally well in acceleration, braking, turning, turning and braking.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:36 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Blizzaks are great, as are Michelin Alpins. Personally, I'd go with Blizzaks as I prefer the more open tread to the tightly knit sipes on the Alpins (which are great in ice, but I find less great in all other snow conditions).

I actually grabbed a set of cheap Hankook snow tires for my Accord the other day and have found them quite good as well.

Basically, if you get a dedicated snow tire (any kind, practically), you'll notice a dramatic change in handling (for the better). All-seasons might do you well if you only get a tiny bit of snow, but I find it's better to be safe than sorry - get dedicated winter tires.

Last but not least, I'm still wondering how in the world you could have driven so long in cold weather and snow (no matter once or a thousand times) and not realized that summer high performance tires don't grip in those conditions...
Old 01-30-2003, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my rating =====> 10++++++

(MZ-01's)
Old 01-30-2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by S2KRAY
Your comments and flaming are not appreciated
well then, don't do or say dumb things......
Old 01-30-2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by PLYRS 3
my rating =====> 10++++++

(MZ-01's)
Old 01-30-2003, 10:54 AM

.........and, i'm on my third winter with the same set
Old 01-30-2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by PLYRS 3
.........and, i'm on my third winter with the same set
Me too! I'm hoping they will go one more season (maybe two). When I can no longer outdrag a Chevy 4 X 4 pickup with all season radials, it'll be time.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:57 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

OK, let me make it a little clearer. I have had front wheel and 4 wheel drive cars dating back to 1978 and never had a problem in the snow/ice. When I did own rear wheel drive cars I had snow/studded snow tires and realize the benefit of them. This is the first sports car I have owned and this is the first winter that the weather has been snowy and icy while driving this car. I know that these are summer tires and they are not good in the snow but right now it is my only source of transportation and I haven't had time to get winter tires which is why I'm asking for advice on the best tire to buy. I dont appreciate flames when people dont know the entire story and I'm sorry for being impulsive. I appreciate all the advice and let's just start over and forget the comments I made.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2KRAY
[B]1. OK, let me make it a little clearer.

Quick Reply: Rating Blizzaks in the snow/ice