S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Raising the top with engine off / on?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^moving? Your e brake switch is removed/bypassed or what? Mine the ebrake needs to be on and car stopped. Dont want to make a kite out of your soft top. I dont want to drive behind you. lol.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I cut the wire to the speed sensor. One click on the e-brake and I can put the top up while moving. I only do it under 20 mph and only if I get caught in a sudden down pour.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 AM

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,037 Posts

45 mph? Seriously? That seems quite extreme. I can see 20 mph, but much more than that seems like a lot of stress on the top. The mechanisms, joints, motor, fabric mounts.

Just because the top doesn't fly off doesn't mean no damage is occurring.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 204 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by texture
As I posted last week, I'm a new S2000 owner. I was scanning the owners manual and noticed it advises to lower / raise the top with the key in but the engine off. This seemed strange to me. Do you follow this advice? What is the reasoning behind it? Thanks in advance!
My manual doesn't say that in it. Yours may be different. Mine (for an '07) says:
Before operating the convertible top,
make sure the vehicle is parked on
level ground, the rear defogger is off,
and there is enough clearance above
the top.
It says parked, but I don't think that necessarily means engine off. I have done both (raise/lower with the motor running and the motor off) with no ill effects. *shrugs*

Originally Posted by Bliss
^moving? Your e brake switch is removed/bypassed or what? Mine the ebrake needs to be on and car stopped. Dont want to make a kite out of your soft top. I dont want to drive behind you. lol.
If you bypass the speed sensor then all you need to do is pull the emergency brake up one click (enough to light the light on the dash) and you can raise or lower the top while moving. A scenario in which this might be useful is when stuck in stop and go traffic on the freeway that moves every few seconds but isn't at a complete stand-still for more than 5 seconds at a time.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its ok I will just stop the car i could see me screwing that up giving the ability. Like a parachute. Honda had me in mind with that one.

Up and down with engine running due to current draw imo.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 AM

OP: Just for grins, I pulled the owner's manual PDF for a 2000 MY. I see the manual does say the car needs to be off. However, that bullet point is specifically NOT in the owner's manual for the 2007 MY. So it's clear that Honda removed that particular recommendation. Don't know when. Don't know why. Don't actually care. If it was a problem to operate the top with the car running, I believe they would have made it so you *can't* do it (like raising and lowering while moving, for instance). That's just a supposition on my part. As previously mentioned, I've done it both ways with no problems.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
OP: Just for grins, I pulled the owner's manual PDF for a 2000 MY. I see the manual does say the car needs to be off. However, that bullet point is specifically NOT in the owner's manual for the 2007 MY. So it's clear that Honda removed that particular recommendation. Don't know when. Don't know why. Don't actually care. If it was a problem to operate the top with the car running, I believe they would have made it so you *can't* do it (like raising and lowering while moving, for instance). That's just a supposition on my part. As previously mentioned, I've done it both ways with no problems.
Thank you Mr. Murphy,
I will no longer hesitate to drop the top with the engine running!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by texture
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1386706462' post='22916323
Thank you Mr. Murphy,
You are welcome Mrs. texture.

(hint: RMurphy is female.)
Old 12-10-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by texture' timestamp='1386706542' post='22916325

Thank you Mr. Murphy,

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1386706786' post='22916337
[quote name='texture' timestamp='1386706542' post='22916325']

Thank you Mr. Murphy,

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
[/quote]

Yeah, yeah. Laugh it up, ya sandal-wearin' Miata boy.

OP: Some folks do fill in the gender info that displays on the left side of the screen and other people sometimes read it. I can't fault you though. I never read signature lines either.

Quick Reply: Raising the top with engine off / on?