S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Radar detector question

Old 02-13-2002, 07:37 AM
wFo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar detector question

OK, I've done the searches and read the threads about the most popular detectors. It seems like a V1 is the way to go according to the group and the new C&D. However, in my area they seem to be using a LOT of the new laser(LIDAR) devices both in town and on the freeway. Glad to see my over-taxation is being put to good use

The question: Does anyone have any real world experience where they have actually detected this type of device in time to do anything in time? From what I can determine about the technology, I don't envision a lot of stray light beams bouncing around to warn me of impending doom. I don't want to drive around with a false sense of security with as many lidar guns as we have around here. I have read about the jammers, but that seems a bit iffy as well. Is there any reasonable hope????
Old 02-13-2002, 08:45 AM

Tough question, detecting laser depends on a lot of variables. I've only managed to detect laser on the freeway once in my 3yrs of owning a V1. Taking a quote from V1 themselve - "the best way to detect your enemy is to know him" - if you want to avoid laser your best bet is to learn and remember the location of where you find them. They usually use the same location most of the time, the reason for this is effectiveness. They only setup a trap if they know it is an effective location. I wouldn't recommend a jammer - you could get in a hell lot of trouble.

The best weapon against speed trap is to find an idiot that like to tail gate and let him by - follow behind him so if there is a trap he takes the hit
Old 02-13-2002, 09:53 AM

Prelude's right, cops can't just use the Lidar gun anywhere. They have to be stationary, and they can't clock you from inside their vehicle because the laser loses it's effectivness if it passes through glass. Most of the times the cops have to find a good location where they can park and get out of their vehicle and have a nearly perfect line of sight at the coming vehicles. There's only a few of these spots in my area, and I definitely rememeber where they all are. That's probably your best bet against laser.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:57 PM

You are right about laser. It is such a narrow beam that it does not bounce around like radar, therefore not giving you advance warning. I received a ticket a couple of years ago from a policeman using a laser gun. He was at the bottom of a downhill "s" bend in the road. My detector went off at the same moment I saw him. At that point, I was painted and doomed.

I have not done any re
Old 02-13-2002, 05:35 PM

The LIDAR detector in my BEL goes off all the time, though I'm in a state where LIDAR isn't legal so I think it's a false alarm. Hard to say.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TXRacer
[B]The LIDAR detector in my BEL goes off all the time, though I'm in a state where LIDAR isn't legal so I think it's a false alarm.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:33 AM

Highly recommend the new Passport SRX. It "shifts" (read: scramble) the LIDAR signal. It's really the only effective defense against laser. It also has the advantage of being remote so you don't have to worry about theft which you do with the V1 when the tops down. It's suppossed to be sold only by authorized installers but you can buy one for about $200 more than a V1 and install it yourself. Well worth the difference IMHO. And BTY I have used both and have a V1 I'll make you a deal on.
Old 02-16-2002, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there is anything illegal about scrambling a light signal or emitting a light signal. Radar jammers are illegal but laser jammers are not.

As far as I know, the V1 has the widest acceptance angle for laser but still doesn't warn you in time to do anything about it.

Here's a link to the Car and Driver review just published. My own testing on sensitivity (just comparing the V1 and the Passport 8500) agreed with Car and Driver's findings.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddrive...e_detectors.xml
Old 02-16-2002, 08:36 AM

Here is a little tidbit from the California Vehicle Code that I was unaware of until a fellow member here pointed it out to me.
I knew about the Radar aspect but i didnt realize that it also applied to Laser/Lidar or anything else for that matter...

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/veh/28150.html

Yet I was still able to buy a Passport SRX here in CA.... hmmmm...
Old 02-16-2002, 08:51 AM

Andrew
Where can I get one for $200 more than a Valentine ($450) I checked the web site and they listed $1499 -$1599. Are they discounted anywhere.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Radar detector question