S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

R4-S Brake grind; is this normal?

Old 06-30-2002, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R4-S Brake grind; is this normal?

The Porterfield R4-S pads I put on the fronts of my S2000 don't sqeak when I drive on the street, they grind! I know the compound is much harder than the stock pads' compound, but is this normal?

Furthermore, they rub the rotor even when I'm not depressing the brake pedal. It's intermittant, but really annoying. Can anyone offer any advice with this?
Old 06-30-2002, 10:39 AM
jzr

In my experience the R4S compound is pretty quiet. Make sure you didn't accidentaly install a pad backwards - backing plate on rotor contact will sure make a grinding sound!

The other possibility is that somehow you got the carbon/kevlar R4 compound, which do make a grinding sound.

Intermittent rubbing on the rotor when you're not pressing the pedal sounds like a warped rotor or sticking caliper to me. If there is any vibration when braking, it's probably the rotors.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2002, 11:21 AM

Turns out that the pads are nearly gone. Hard to believe considering I only ran them for five hard 20 minutes sessions on the Thunderhill track. I feel kinda ripped off because the stock pads lasted 8 sessions on the track after almost 3000 miles on the street!

Not to be paranoid, but I wonder if Comptech sold me stock ones in a Porterfield box? Oh well, there went another $100 down the drain!
Old 06-30-2002, 11:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You can easily go through a set of R4-S pads in one day at the track. Were they cooked or just worn out? If you cooked them I'd recommend you go with the Carbotech Panther+ pads next time. The R4-S works well until you become a fairly fast driver on the track, and then they cook real easy.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:37 AM

Well, I have gotten fairly fast on the track, but how do I know if I "cooked" them?

Also, how much are the Panthers, and who sells them? I was considering upgrading to the Porterfield R4's for track use only, so how are the Panthers vs those?

Thanx so much for the advice man!
Old 06-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well when my R4-S's cooked the pad would become kinda white looking and if I really cooked them they'd actually start crumbling a little bit.

The P+ don't really cost anymore than the R4-S. They're both designed for street/track use. The P+ has a somewhat higher temp rating than the R4-S but beyond that they just seem to handle the heat better. You can get P+ (and Porterfields too) from Bulletproof automotive, one of our sponsors.

If you're considering a track only pad I think the R4's are a good pad. I haven't gone to track only pads yet for a couple of reasons. I don't want to be swapping pads before and then again after track days. I also don't want the additional rotor wear that I've heard happens with track only pads. If you decide to get R4's I have set for sale in the GB forum. I purchased them before my last track day cause I couldn't get P+'s but I didn't end up using them.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:12 PM

I checked out the Panther Pluses at Bulletproof and like what I see. More squeak and dust are no bother to me, so I think I'll order them up.

Before I do, do you see any problem with me running the fancy pads in the front, but the stock or Axxis "Metal Masters" (Comptech's recommendation) in the rear since 70-75% of the braking is done by the fronts anyway?

The R4's are in my future, but I need to get faster on the track to justify the expense of the R4's and having rotors kryo'ed.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:36 PM
pfb

For what it's worth, I put a healthy dose of CRC disk brake quiet on my P+ pad backs last time I changed them out, along with disk brake grease on the "ears", and it has really quieted down the pads...
Old 06-30-2002, 12:41 PM

pfb... Can I get the CRC Brake Quiet at a Pep Boys or Kragen, or is it special-order stuff (like everything else for the S? )

Also, what are the 'ears' you speak of and can you recommend a good disk brake grease?

Thanx!
Old 06-30-2002, 01:32 PM
pfb

Both the grease and the disk brake quiet should be available in any good auto parts store... Not sure if Pep boys qualifies

Try a decent import auto parts store if they dont have it.

The ears on the front are the little tabs that stick out of the ends of the pads. They ride in grooves on the calipers. When they stick a little, they can cause chatter and squeal.

All of this will eventually cook off, but it seems to last a fair while.