S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Quick question about my First Gear Being BoUnCy

Old 01-06-2004, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about my First Gear Being BoUnCy

Hey guys. I've had this for about as long as i've had my car and have really never cared to ask anyone about it but now i'm wondering if it's normal. Let say i'm cruzin on the highway and were in rush hour. So i'm in first gear allot. I"ll slow down to liek 4 or 5 mph and i'll not have my foot on the gas b/c were just cruzin. So i go to put just a little preasure back on the gass and when i hit the pedal my car kinda lunges forward and then goes back and forward. it's liek my gas pedal is maybe way to sensitive and is giving the car too much gas right from the start. and when i let off of the gas after just barely having it pushed in my car pulls back really hard... Anyone? Ever have this happen?
Thanks a mill!
-Peter
Old 01-06-2004, 07:55 AM

It's called driveline lash. It's normal. You just need to smooth out your throttle inputs when you're moving slowly.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:03 AM

yeah i used to do that when i first got the car, only took a whole day to get used to it 100%. the problme was that i kept letting the clutch out to quickly, and the car would jerk back and forth. very embarassing if you're at a traffic light . the moment that car starts jerking, immediately push in the clutch and retry.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Odd, I've cruised about in my car for almost as long as you. Mine stopped doing that soon after I got it. My main reason is that I learned to use the clutch and throttle properly. (I'm not saying that it's your case though, I learned to drive stick on this car).

I can cruise as slow speeds, but it's a matter of maintaining steady pressure on the throttle. When you "lightfoot" it, the acceleration of the vehicle causes a "bounce" by the foot lifting off the throttle when the car moves forward, followed by deceleration and the driver (and foot) moving forward. This cycle repeats itself.

There are a few ways out of it:

1. Tense up a bit when applying very light throttle: this will minimize the "bounce".

2. After applying light throttle, immediately back off a slight touch. Do this enough and the "bounce" will put you at a throttle position good for your speed.

3. Use the clutch (re-engage) when reapplying throttle.

I usually try to do #2.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the tips. I've been driving my S for over a year now and have done most of these things. I guess i was wondering if it's possible to reduce the "driveline lash" at all by changing how tight the throttle cable is. Is that possible? I often re-engage the clutch and exc... but was just hoping if there was something to do to reduce the amount. Thanks,
-Peter
Old 01-06-2004, 08:15 AM

Driveline lash has nothing to do with the throttle. It's a function of how much play there is between all the mechanical bits that make up the driveline of the car (transmission, driveshaft, rear end, etc.)
Old 01-06-2004, 08:29 AM

Alrighty! that solves that! Thanks for all your help guys!