S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A quick question about caliper paint and dead horses

Old 04-07-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quick question about caliper paint and dead horses

So I put the S onto jacks and painted the brakes a nice silver. I did three coats on each, reassembled everything and lowered the car. Then (remember, I am a MAN afterall) I read the instructions on the can o' paint. It says something about baking the painted object at 650 degrees to cure the paint. Crap. Cars down. I'm no mechanic, I don't want to raise it up, take apart the brakes and bake them in the oven. Although I'd be willing to risk a brake overall experiment on my old landcruiser, I don't my S to be the first brakes I bleed and drain, and whatever the hell else is required. So, I do a search. There have been at least 2 people who have painted their brakes and then forgone the baking bit for a good fast hard drive. Sounds great. BUT, I took my exhaust off Saturday and sent it to Las Vegas. My new ones should be here later this week. To sum up: Can't/won't/really shouldn't bake my brakes......and..... really can't drive right now. Here's my query: Will this stuff ever cure without baking? Will it eventually dry? Everything eventually dries, right? Am I doomed to reapply this stuff in a couple of months? Has anybody out there smacked some paint on and just let the S sit for 3-4 days for whatever reason: hospitilization? lost keys? witness protection program relocation? anything? Help!
Old 04-07-2003, 07:27 PM

My brake caliper paint kit didn't say anything about baking it on. I applied the 3 coats 6 mos ago, let it dry a few hours, and they're just fine.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:39 PM

ditto
Old 04-07-2003, 08:21 PM

I just painted mine today and they look great! No baking.

Paulie
Old 04-07-2003, 08:24 PM

Did you use a caliper painting kit or just buy a can of high temp paint? I just did mine the other day. It was a two part epoxy type paint and didnt say anything about baking. seems to be holding great so far.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:32 AM

I got a $5 can of high temp paint at Pep Boys. No hardener. I sprayed it onto tin foil then brushed it onto the brakes. It looks great...there's still the underlying rough finish, which I wanted, it just doesn't seem to be drying.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:10 AM

i used a heat gun
Old 04-08-2003, 05:11 AM

I purchased high temp paint...applied with a small brush. Just let it sit overnight, they still look good to me. I also went with a silver. I THINK you should be ok, but what do I know
Old 04-08-2003, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by sireousrex
Did you use a caliper painting kit or just buy a can of high temp paint? I just did mine the other day. It was a two part epoxy type paint and didnt say anything about baking. seems to be holding great so far.
Which type (name brand) did you use and where did you get it? I'm thinking of doing the same.

thanks,

Julius
Old 04-08-2003, 06:02 AM

I wouldn't use a heat gun on the brakes while on the car You'll cook the grease and melt all the rubber seals

Jonas

Quick Reply: A quick question about caliper paint and dead horses