S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Question for those that live in hot weather.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those that live in hot weather.

Since I got my car I've been debating if I should or should not install aftermarket cooling mods. I wonder if you guys have one, two or more of the mods listed below and it they really made a difference in the daily driving experience.

- Any type of aftermarket radiator ( koyo, etc )
- Spoon-Mugen thermostat
- Soon-Mugen thermostat switch
- Hondata heatshield

The reason I'm asking this is because I live in florida and sometimes the car gets very funny when it is very hot outside.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i hear the hondata intake manifold gasket is extremely effective.

I don't think any of the first 3 will help, except maybe a thermostat. the car is not overheating by any means; the ECU simply retards things when the intake charge is too hot. the gasket keeps the manifold and throttle body from heating up too much.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:18 AM

How "aggressive" is your driving? High RPM crusing and constant speedy acceleration/deceleration will definitely increase engine temp beyond what a stock radiator can cool effectively. Does the engine temp gauge show an increase when the car starts acting "funny"? If not, it is just like what Steven said, the car is just compensating for hot intake charge.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:23 AM

I just want to keep temperature down so I don't loose that much hp when it is hot outside.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

RADMAT.
(A piece of insulation that goes over the radiator in front of the air intake. Keeps the radiator from heating up the air before it enters the engine. Helps tremendously with the low-rpm stumble.)

The Hondata gasket is really the only other thing you can do from a power perspective - but it's a PITA to install.

Your other mods will help keep the engine from overheating (not much of a problem anyway), but will no help with power any.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:45 AM

question for inetforce... currently i live in san antonio, tx and its pretty hot here. car seems to run fine except lcd of speedometer acts funny when its hot... like above 90F.

do you have such problem???
Old 07-31-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by nrgizeman,Jul 31 2005, 01:45 PM
question for inetforce... currently i live in san antonio, tx and its pretty hot here. car seems to run fine except lcd of speedometer acts funny when its hot... like above 90F.

do you have such problem???
Ive have seen how the lights of the speedometer sometimes look darker. I dont know if this is the same problem you are experiencing.

Back to the topic, any other input guys?
Old 07-31-2005, 04:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried Red Line Water Wetter?

Much cheaper than anything else you have mentioned.

I have been using it in our truck and have been pulling a 26 ft travel trailer though the SoCal, Texas, and Arizona desert this summer (and we aren't out yet).

The temps are over 100 most every day and have been up to 112.

Good Luck
Old 07-31-2005, 05:05 PM

I purchased a piece of thick foam rubber pipe insulation at Lowes and cut and tailored it to fit over the top of the radiator, cutting a small hole for it to fit under the radiator cap. I then placed a small piece of aluminum backed air cell insulation directly under the air intake. Then just to add another opportunity for the engine to receive cooler outside air, I ran a small piece of flexible plastic tubing from the air intake area in front of the radiator and into the air intake horn on the engine. All in all, it works well here in the hot and humid summers of St. Louis.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:08 PM

A cold air intake will help prevent the "bog down" at accelleration.

Don't bother with thermostats. The Hondata gasket has proven to be the most effective.

Quick Reply: Question for those that live in hot weather.