S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Question about soft top strikers and latches

Old 12-06-2004, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about soft top strikers and latches

Ok, so I have a gap at the soft top and the window frame, soft top appears to not close all the way. Upon research it appears I need the strikers right? Well I've also noticed the latches on the window frame are worn pretty badly (you can see impressions on the latch from the strikers) so is that something I should replace as well. Can they even be replaced, or is that something that should come with the strikers?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:39 AM

Those are separate parts. Most people replace the strikers for one reason or another. The only reason to replace the latches is because they broke (and there's been several reports of latched breaking).

On the other hand, if you have a gap between your soft-top and the window frame, I don't see how replacing the striker/latch will help you close that gap. What you need is to adjust your soft-top so it will close closer to your window frame. Talk to your local Honda service advisor. Good luck.

But I am mystified as to how this "gap" appeared all of a sudden between your soft-top and the window frame. Since you have a MY2001, you must close the top once in a while -- I can't believe you left the top down for 3 years and only now close it and found this gap. On second thought, leaving the top down for 3 years WILL cause the top to not close all the way and you will have such a gap. But please tell us what the story is, because now I am curious.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:51 AM

If the gap is minor and is causing an "airflow" noise, then there is a simple fix.

Replace the striker plates with Hardtop ones. The striker plates are the pieces mounted to the corner of the windshield where the softtop latches to. You can get them from Hardtopguy.com for $40:

http://hardtopguy.com/store/customer/produ...0&cat=55&page=1

This will resolve the noise problem. Do some searches about this and you will find some info. Also do a search of my name and strikers. I posted on one of the threads the steps in replacing the strikers.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:10 AM

Well the gap is on the left side only, the right side doesnt shut all the way tight like it should either. I've driven it in the rain like this and it doesnt leak or anything... YET. I gently pushed the top closed all the way at the window frame as it should properly be if everything was tight. I checked the hook that latches on the strikers and there is play there, so its not hitting tight at all. The striker plate on that side is pretty damn bad too if i might add. So Im gonna replace that first and then go for adjustments of the hardtop if the strikers dont do the trick. Thanks you guys for the input!!