S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

question about downshifting

Old 09-26-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you there, however I find that the most common downshift for me is when I downshift to take a corner.
Also by knowing the approximate speeds at which I upshift each gear during my normal daily driving (usually 4000rpm), it gives me an indication of how high I need to rev on the rev-match when going back down.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Sep 26 2004, 03:08 PM
I found this interesting. The Proformance Race School has a "Hot Video" of a guy going around Pacific Raceways, and he does not seem to double clutch when he heel & toe downshifts. Is it the case that there is no added benefit to double clutching if you have a synchronized transmission, or are you just saying that you get the bulk of the benefit from rev-matching?

I am learning how to heel & toe because I feel that it's hard on the transmission to downshift at very high revs like on the track without rev-matching; I really doubt that it's very hard on a modern transmission to downshift at middling revs in normal street driving without rev-matching.
I've never double clutched in my life. On old, non-synchro transmission you had to double clutch in order to keep from grinding the gears (or so I am told). On synchro transmissions, you don't. But if you really abuse the sychros a lot (by wildly mismatching revs), they will wear out much more quickly.

The biggest reason to heel and toe on the track is to avoid upsetting the car! If you can match revs smoothly, the car never "knows" you shifted. Otherwise, you can jerk the car. The fact that it also helps with wear and tear is a plus.

As for street use -- the street is the place to practice the heel and toe. Too many other things to worry about on the track. So practice it all the time on the street, and it will start to come naturally on the track. And it might help the wear and tear on the street as well.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:47 AM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

For those interested in an excellent illustrated Heel & Toe tutorial, have a look at this:

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/te...el_and_toe.htm

Practice practice practice

Brian
Old 09-27-2004, 06:08 AM

[QUOTE=mxt_77,Sep 26 2004, 07:24 PM]True... it's not hard to work out, but are you going to memorize the RPM for every gear at every possible speed so you can rev-match when you downshift to that speed?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like that idea that way you could have a visual represnetaton of how much throttle to achieve smooth shifts.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apex2k,Sep 27 2004, 09:08 AM
I have sometimes wondered why Honda has not taken advantage of their digital tach to help with this, showing a floating indicator for were the next gear, up or down, would put you.
That's a nifty idea, but not useful for a racecar because when racing, are you really going to have time to look down at that when you are diving hard into a corner in traffic?

And for a street car, I think average joe-schmoe would get too carried away watching the tach and trying to hit the perfect rev-match, and not be concentrating on what's in the road ahead of him. Then, he'll end up rear-ending the car in front of him.

If you really want to get carried away, I think Honda should put in an SMG transmission and have the computer do the rev-matching for you. Now that would be hot.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:43 AM

[QUOTE=mxt_77,Sep 27 2004, 09:45 AM]That's a nifty idea, but not useful for a racecar because when racing, are you really going to have time to look down at that when you are diving hard into a corner in traffic?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that more is generally better, but if this was added, I think it would be more of a novelty item than an actual useful feature. But, as mentioned, it wouldn't be too difficult to implement, I'm sure. They'd just have to add some extra LEDs (or color-changing LEDs), and a sensor to determine which gear you are in currently. Add to that a little extra ECU code, and the magic would be done.

As long as it's defeatable, I wouldn't have a problem with it being there. I'd probably just turn it off, although I might leave it on just for show. I doubt it would really impact the way that I drive.
What I'd much rather have is datalogging capabilities and a non-proprietary interface for d/l'ing data from the datalogger. Now that's something that should be standard on a racecar inspired vehicle.