S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Push Button Start

Old 06-19-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Push Button Start

Was the S2000 one of the first mass produced vehicles with a push button start? I don't recall seeing it much before this car was introduced.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

1912 called. Wants to take credit for it's technology

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...y-new/?slide=6
Old 06-20-2016, 06:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this '47 Triumph 1800 - it too has the silly key and start button combo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ZD...utu.be&t=2m55s
Old 06-20-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The first car I ever owned was a 1966 Citroen DS21. The key turned on the ignition, and there was a button that activated the starter. Funny thing was that the starter button was always hot. You could engage the starter w/o the key, or (gasp) while the engine was running.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by solitarycheese
Check out this '47 Triumph 1800 - it too has the silly key and start button combo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ZD...utu.be&t=2m55s
Its not silly at all. Its actually well suited to the car. Its the same setup motorcycles use. Key to secure, separate button to start. Its ideal for the track. A spinout and stall, its easy to fire it back up. No fiddling with the key, and the complex multiple stages of operation that typically used. No awkward twisting key motion while you're hands are busy getting back into first gear, and pointing wheel the right way.

I really dislike the modern interpretation of push button start. The same motion used to perform two opposite functions, one of which might be needed in a panic situation? Who thought that was a good idea? The change in state the button will perform is simply the opposite of the current state, but in that panic situation that might not be so easy to determine.

Imagine you (or someone less mechanically and driver competent as you) are in an unintended acceleration scenario. You need to turn the car off NOW. You are frantically trying to shut the car off. You might end up turning it back on. Or the opposite. Car stalls. Power steering, power brakes lost. Need to turn it back on NOW. Are you starting, or did it start and now you are turning it back off again. Horrible design. I HATE designs that use the same motion to do opposing functions. Our subconscious is great at learning, if this happens, do that. It isn't so great at if this happens, in this state, then do that. Otherwise do something else.

Plus, I dont get how modern push to start is at all convenient. I gotta take key out to unlock car. But then I can just put it my pocket again. No need to insert it or turn it. Great. Except when I get out, I gotta take key out again to lock car. I find it much easier to remove key from old school ignition, so its already in my hand, so I can lock car, then put key in pocket. Much more cumbersome to fish for key in pocket, just to put it back again.

Dont get me started on if you dont put key in pocket, and lose it inside car while driving.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 06-20-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Plus, I dont get how modern push to start is at all convenient. I gotta take key out to unlock car. But then I can just put it my pocket again. No need to insert it or turn it. Great. Except when I get out, I gotta take key out again to lock car. I find it much easier to remove key from old school ignition, so its already in my hand, so I can lock car, then put key in pocket. Much more cumbersome to fish for key in pocket, just to put it back again.
My 2015 Lexus doesn't work like this. I never have to take my keys out of my pocket. I walk up to the door, grab the handle and the door unlocks. I get in and hit start. When I'm done driving, I hit the start button to turn off the car, open the door, get out and then touch the door handle to lock the car. It sounds like a feature for lazy people, but it's really nice when your hands are full.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1466437890' post='23997587

My 2015 Lexus doesn't work like this. I never have to take my keys out of my pocket. I walk up to the door, grab the handle and the door unlocks. I get in and hit start. When I'm done driving, I hit the start button to turn off the car, open the door, get out and then touch the door handle to lock the car. It sounds like a feature for lazy people, but it's really nice when your hands are full.
Yep, same with our 2011 Lexus GS350, it's so convenient!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

As an aside, when and if you spin the car at the track you can put it in first gear and start it almost immediately using both hands.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I never had a keyless system that requires taking the transponder out of my pocket. As soon as you grab your door handle, the door unlocks. Touch the door handle and it locks. Key stays in pocket (or cup holder) at all times, even if I'm starting the engine. It can't get any simpler than that (on my Lexus).
Old 06-20-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaTN
Was the S2000 one of the first mass produced vehicles with a push button start? I don't recall seeing it much before this car was introduced.
In terms of contemporary design, yes, it was one of the first, although obviously not the first.

That said, the logic behind the button and the fact that is is on the outside of the car has to do with performance, not just looks or as a mindless feature. In the event of a stall, you can get the car into first with one hand while restarting the engine with the other.

Quick Reply: Push Button Start