S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Prototyping fog lamps for a perfect custom fit in the phony vent space

Old 06-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As some of you know, inspired by some posts a few years ago by Airgate and others, I mounted Odyssey fog lamps in the phony vent space in the front bumper of my car (a MY 2001). https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...y%20fog%20lamps

While a few others have done this mod, it requires a lot of hand work, and although the Odyssey lamps fit quite well, I've always thought that there would be a better way to create a fog lamp assembly that would fit these vent spaces perfectly, with a lens that blended with the bumper surface smoothly.

Well, we are now beginning to prototype a solution. The fog lamp assembly, if all goes well, will include 1) a chromed, reflective housing that slips into the phony vent space perfectly and fills it completely; a polycarbonate lens that blends into the bumper surface smoothly; and a built-in Halogen bulb assembly with H-1 bulbs color-temperature matched to the headlight HIDs.

Here are two photos of the Odyssey install on my car. Not bad, but could be much better. Imagine the fog lamps fitting perfectly into the space, with a smooth lens flush with the bumper surface.. That's our goal. If there's a Photoshop expert out there who can create a picture of what that might look like, I'd be very grateful, since my Photoship skills are somewhat limited.

We're in the early stages of assembling materials for prototyping, so I have no photos. But I will continue posting as work goes forward. Our goal is to hold the cost to about that for the Odyssey lamps, which is $300. Installation will be easy. A small hole for the bulb socket will have to be cut in the louvered area of the phony vent, and the whole assembly will just slip into place in the existing vent space, anchored into place with a few well-placed dabs of silicone caulking material.

More to come as work goes forward, but I'd like folks to post if they think this is an accessory they'd want to buy. The prototype will go onto my car in 6-8 weeks if all goes well. If this works on my car, we'll have a solution for all MY 2000 - 2003 cars, and another version for 2004s would be easy to do.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell, I wanted to do the Odyssey lamp mod. Getting the custom ones for the same price would be more than worth it for me. When I can afford to, that is.

EDIT: P.S. If you need help with custom wiring, let me know, I've done custom aftermarket fog installs before that worked like factory. (I.E. only turning on when the running lights were on) So you don't have to remember to switch them off when you get out.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:49 AM

Rick:

I would be most interested. A mod Honda should have thought of. I currently have a small set of PIAA lights in the grill of my "S" but would like to go your way also. Thanks for your inititive

Jack
Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mbilderback
Hell, I wanted to do the Odyssey lamp mod.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:21 AM

Go For It! Can we hold you to the 6-8 week schedule?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by RedMenace
Go For It! Can we hold you to the 6-8 week schedule?
Hard to know at this time, but I'll try
Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 AM

Great mod! Been waiting for something like this for a long time...
Old 06-04-2004, 10:15 AM

I'd be interested.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:25 AM

to be honest, those look ugly.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:31 AM

this looks verry good always been a fan of you're mods Rick

Quick Reply: Prototyping fog lamps for a perfect custom fit in the phony vent space