S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Problem W/Wet Streets or Rain???

Old 11-14-2000, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had an accident with my S2000. Was coming down a bridge in rain going around 40mph and the car just wouln't stay on the road. Fishtailed and I hit the cement wall. No bodily damage on me but was definetly hurting for my S2000 although it took that wall pretty good. Anyway, I notice that if it's raining or really wet streets, it very dangerous to go over 50mph. Car get really squirrly and there is just no control. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. This car was a gift to me and I absoutly love it but just seems unsafe in rain. Would different tires help? My boyfriend is talking of getting rid of it and I really am not ready for that.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2000, 12:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A gift?? lucky you,

I have "lost it" a few times, due to not being able to handle the "responsibility" of the tight sus. and power available. I am nervous when driving in the rain, but if I respect what I know as its wet limits, seems to be about a third of its dry traction, I do just fine. Also if one rear tire breaks loose under power the other will surly go because of the limited slip diff.

To answer your question though, the Bridgestone Pole Position S-02's are an improvement over the stock tires in the rain.
Also beware that these tires(stock or PP's) dont stick very well in the cold either.
I punched it in a turn in the cold and had a fun but unexpected and after it started, controlled slide.

Good luck

Old 11-14-2000, 12:38 PM

1. GIFT!?!?!? Lucky girl!

2. You will hear a lot about this subject. The S2K requires EXTREME caution in wet weather.

I had mine come around on me about a month ago because I was moving too hastily in heavy rain. I knew better, and I thought I had the experience and skills to handle the situation, but my tires (which only have 5K miles on them and are in excellent shape) just couldn't move the water out quickly enough. The rear came around and that was that. Fortunately for me, there was no other traffic around, lest I end up like the poor fellow in the other thread about the fatality. Others members of this board have not been as lucky as I, and have incurred serious damage to the car, and even themselves.

Drive very, very carefully in the S, or leave it in the garage if you can, on rainy days.

Be careful, and enjoy your wonderful GIFT!
Old 11-14-2000, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a known issue, largely due to the tires that have excellent performance in dry/warn conditions but suck in the wet/cold time of year. Please - put on 4 season tires during the wet/cold season. Here are some links that may provide additional information. Enjoy the car!
http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...hp?threadid=294
http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=1572
http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...hp?threadid=793
Old 11-14-2000, 12:40 PM

Yeah, the car can even get loose on dry but cold streets. Just drive under 40MPH in the rain. That's what I do. To be honest, any lightweight car, even if the wheels aren't as wide, just don't hold the road well when wet. People just need to slow down when its raining.
Old 11-14-2000, 12:40 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

WOW a 6th Woman driver on the boards! I am guessing you have more than 10,000 miles on your rear tires. Take a look at the treads on the bottom. There are wear bars if they are near them your gonna have that type of problem in the rain.

The PP's are an improvement though nothing beats a fresh set of rubber on the rears!
Old 11-14-2000, 12:53 PM

Pinky:
Actually I've got 22,000 - needless to say I practically live in that car!!
Old 11-14-2000, 12:57 PM

I'd strongly suggest anyone that plans drive in the rain upgrade to the Bridgstone S02 Pole Positions asap. If you have 8k to 10k miles on the stock S02's I wouldn't drive them in the rain at all.

9 out of 10 S2K accidents I've heard about (maybe more) have been due to hydroplaning. Many incidents were just driving in a straight line at moderate speeds.

The Pole Positions have Bridgestone's Uni-T technology which has amazing wet weather handling.

Not to suggest this is as an S2000 specific problem, almost any high-end sports car with sticky dry-weather tires would have similar problems
Old 11-14-2000, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been driving my car for over a year now and have been through one rainy season. I have never felt unsafe or out of control in the rain. My commutes takes me through 15 miles of mountain roads that has a speed limit of 50. The only time my rear end has broken loose is when I turned into a wet driveway. I have 18K miles on it and I replaced my SO2's with Pirelli's P7000. The SO2's seem to be stickier than the P7000. I hear alot of you guys/girls talk about how unsafe your car feels in the rain. I have always felt that my S2000 was the best handling car I have driven in the rain...I have driven GMC Denali, Acura Legend, Acura Integra, Honda Prelude and Honda Civic through the rain and mountains and my S2K handles so much better than any of those.
Old 11-14-2000, 01:27 PM

Probably not driving through sitting water if it is in the mountains, sitting water is what is getting all of you.

Just take it slow and change the tires to the SO2 PP's they are great, and just so happen to be my latest upgrade!

Quick Reply: Problem W/Wet Streets or Rain???