S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Pre-production drawing of stock wheel hub and steering wheel badges

Old 05-10-2001, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hub badges for the stock wheels and steering wheel will go into production next week. We'll be starting a group buy next week on a badge package deal, including body (2), stock wheel (4), and steering wheel (1) badges. We don't know the final price yet, but we can promise that it will be under $200 for the package of 7 badges. People who have already bought the body badges will get a special GB price on the wheel badges. We'll also be selling sets of body, wheel, and steering wheel badges separately for those who don't want them all.

Here's a drawing of the stock wheel badges (on the left) and the steering wheel badge (right) in red on black. We'll be offering them in color combinations that match the body badges already produced or that are slated for the next production run.

Old 05-10-2001, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool looking badges Rick! I just have a question regarding the steering wheel badge. There has been some debate on the Porsche board if it's safe to place a badge on the airbag cover. The stock cover has an inlaid badge, but would the aftermarket badge stay on if the airbag deployed? It wouldn't be fun to get smacked up side the head with an emblem. I figured I would bring this up as a CYA issue.
Old 05-10-2001, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

We'll have to explore this. First thing we need to understand is what happens to the pieces of the wheel when the bag deploys. Our badges are urethane and softer than the stock metal piece, so they may acutally be safer. But we don't want them becoming projectiles.
Old 05-10-2001, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rick,

If the cover flips up/down in one whole piece when the airbag deploys, I don't see it as a problem. If, however, it splits in the middle, there IS the potential for the badge to get flipped stright forward. What happens to the stock badge should obviously be looked at.

I do doubt, though, that a flying plastic badge could do more damage than an airbag deploying at the same speed.
Old 05-10-2001, 12:42 PM

I dont know how to post a pic on this forum, but I have a pic of the airbag after it has deployed. (I dont know where it came from, 2am websurfing probably)

The airbag would appear to come out below the center in a horizontal line about 6" across.

Rick, I am going to try and email you this pic. Maybe you can post it. Hope it helps with the question.

IMHO, there is no way that the H badge would break apart and hit the driver. This could be fatal at the speeds the bag deploys. That would be a bit counterproductive
Old 05-10-2001, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

stbrnd,

Thanks. We'll look for the pictures.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:23 PM

they look great, I will definitely be on the GB
Old 05-10-2001, 02:50 PM

I assume you are making the back side (adhesive side) convex so that it has a good fit to the steering wheel and wheel hubs.
Old 05-10-2001, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor

S2KPHX,

Not sure what kind of wheels you are refering to, but the
wheel hub covers on the stock wheels are flat.

James
Old 05-10-2001, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes, it's totally flat, so the only mounting trick will be to get the hub badges centered correctly, which we'll have instructions for.

The steering will is a bit uneven (the Honda badge is a bit convex) but we think the badges will mount without any problems. They are thick enough to cover the surface smoothly.

Quick Reply: Pre-production drawing of stock wheel hub and steering wheel badges