S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Pre-muffler cut off

Old 06-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre-muffler cut off

I want to cut off the "pre-muffler" on my 03.Any power or sound gains?

\RLR
Carolina
Old 06-06-2006, 04:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds very raspy. some people regret removing it.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Search for "resonatorectomy";no gains whatsoever.!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the resonator removed from my MY02. It doesn't sound raspy at all, it sounds a little louder, no drone whatsoever though. I recommend it, as do 95% of the other people who have done it. Do a search and you'll see a lot of info on this.

Some people have reported a 1-2 HP gain on the dyno.

Markk
Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard a few with the resonator removed. Sounds raspy IMO. Might sound fine in the cabin, but outside the car it sounds a bit cheaper.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 PM

just cut the mini muff
Old 06-07-2006, 02:01 AM

I removed the resonator on my '06 S2K because I didn't like the "raspy" sound at mid-range RPMs, and I also figured it was a quick and easily reversible way to see if I could get a little "deeper" sound out of the stock exhaust system.

The exhaust sound without the resonator inside (and outside) of the car did achieve the desired effect. The raspiness is gone and the exhaust sounds a little bit deeper without any drone... I would do it again in a heartbeat!!! The S2Ks exhaust sound without the resonator is NOT loud, it is just a little bit deeper.

I'm sure there are a few well-intentioned and knowledagble folks on this board who will disagree with this simple mod; however, IT WORKS FOR ME, and consequently I'm done looking at any aftermarket exhaust systems. Any competent muffler shop can remove the resonator and stick in piece of straight pipe for $30-40. Make sure the resonator is cool to the touch before you stick it in your trunk and take it home (just in case some day you want to reverse the mod or sell the car as 100% stock).

As far as as I can see the only performance gains will be because of the ~7-8 lbs. of resonator that you aren't hauling around anymore.

If you cut off the resonator be sure to keep the Helmholtz tube in place (capped off pipe stub that sticks out sideways from the exhaust pipe) "because it is supposed to help reduce exhaust booming at certain frequencies."
Old 06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
R11

Originally Posted by Alexei,Jun 7 2006, 02:01 AM
I'm sure there are a few well-intentioned and knowledagble folks on this board who will disagree with this simple mod;
Anyone who thinks the stock exhaust with the resonator cut out sounds raspy must also think the stock exhaust with the resonator IN sounds raspy as well. There simply is not enough of a difference between the two to make that claim at all. I think people have either heard badly done resonatorectomy's that are not sealed up completely, or they have just never really listened to a stock S exhaust from outside either. Neither sounds particularly nice when just sitting still and reving up the motor. When driving, at least the resonator-less S adds a slight bit of tone in a couple mid range spots which is a definite improvement. Now multiply that tone by a factor of five and stretch the spots out to make them nearly continuous from 3K up into early VTEC and you'd have a sweet sounding HKS

ron
Old 06-07-2006, 04:33 PM

Yep,had it done today.Took about 30 min & $20.

I like the sound.It's a little deeper.The Butt Dyno detects a small gain.
\db2
Old 06-07-2006, 06:05 PM

i did this a few months ago....liked the sound it produced
then i got a j's racing testpipe, and combining that with the resonatorectomy produced the crapiest sounding s2k ever, lol
i then bought a spugen single....and after 10 mins on the car, i sold it, way way too loud
then i got 2 magnaflow oval mufflers, had a catback system made @ "Performance Custom Exhaust" on long island, they make alot of exhausts for muscle cars, hot rods, that sort of thing....well, first they did it with just piping and the mufflers, and it sounded like total shit
so i had them put the resontator back in, w/o the helmholtz thing...and the exhausts sounds great
my buddy mark says that u cannot distinguish a difference in sound between my exhaust and our friend Sam's comptech (both have testpipes)

Quick Reply: Pre-muffler cut off