S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Potentially youngest S2000 owner?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a senior in high school so I'm in a similar boat as you. You're younger than me by a couple of months. Anyways how did you talk your parents into even considering letting you buy it? Keep in mind that I'm in sunny California and they say it is too impractical. Do you plan on driving that car while you're in college? Are you gonna be living away from your parents at a dorm or apartment? If the latter, have you considered other cars, like the WRX (snow?), RSX type s? Just wondering, because lately I have been forced to reconsider the s2000.

I originally planned to buy over the winter too. If at any time one pops up locally while it's snowing hard, you have a huge bargaining chip right there I don't know how much exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if the price dropped $1,000 or more after bargaining.

I also have a max budget of $15k. So far mostly '02-'03 with 60k miles have been the standard on craigslist. It'll likely be different where you live though. Good luck with your search!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 PM

I bought my '01 right after I turned 15... I've had it for awhile now, and have since gone through a couple second cars, and I've finally added another toy car to the collection... soon to add another DD. Back then I believe I paid 50% down and then had a small monthly, but then paid it off shortly afterwards. I believe I was (at least one of) the first "young owners" back in the day. Fortunately, a few years after buying my S2000 I found this wonderful site.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by cloud9racer,Aug 21 2008, 11:51 AM
I'm a senior in high school so I'm in a similar boat as you. You're younger than me by a couple of months. Anyways how did you talk your parents into even considering letting you buy it? Keep in mind that I'm in sunny California and they say it is too impractical. Do you plan on driving that car while you're in college? Are you gonna be living away from your parents at a dorm or apartment? If the latter, have you considered other cars, like the WRX (snow?), RSX type s? Just wondering, because lately I have been forced to reconsider the s2000.

I originally planned to buy over the winter too. If at any time one pops up locally while it's snowing hard, you have a huge bargaining chip right there I don't know how much exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if the price dropped $1,000 or more after bargaining.

I also have a max budget of $15k. So far mostly '02-'03 with 60k miles have been the standard on craigslist. It'll likely be different where you live though. Good luck with your search!
I'll be staying at home. It's not even an option. My dad won't let me do anything else. I'll be keeping my 328i for the rain (and nobody drives in the snow in NC). I come from a car enthusiast family, so I've been around this sort of stuff all my life. As I mentioned earlier, both my dad and brother drive M3s (99 and 97 respectively), and my dad is looking to upgrade to a M Roadster around 01-02 (for the new engine in those years). He plans to eventually supercharge it. I don't know if that answers how they let me. It's kind of just not too surprising for them considering the path my brother went, and I'm about as responsible as they come, so they're not worried about it being taken care of (I've never been in an accident or gotten a ticket).

Basically, this will be a semi-daily driver to commute to and from either NC State, UNC, or Duke (along with weekend stuff, of course).
Old 08-21-2008, 12:34 PM

God I hate parents that give their kids everything.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo131,Aug 21 2008, 02:34 PM
That is fair, but not everyone who is that young and buying the car is getting a parental hand out. Just keep that in mind while you're weilding your hate.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo131,Aug 21 2008, 12:34 PM
Didn't I just explain I'm buying the car myself? I will pay for this on my own entirely. Yes, my parents provide my housing, gas, and food needs free of charge, but isn't that what parents are supposed to do? Last time I checked, the concept was that parents provided for their children while they went to school since that doesn't generate any money of its own. I'm already devoting 12+ hours a day to school. Next time you work that long and work another job, please, let me know.

If that wasn't directed at me, I apologize, but comments like that really tick me off when I've worked very hard to be able to do this.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by tarheel91,Aug 21 2008, 02:42 PM
Didn't I just explain I'm buying the car myself? I will pay for this on my own entirely. Yes, my parents provide my housing, gas, and food needs free of charge, but isn't that what parents are supposed to do? Last time I checked, the concept was that parents provided for their children while they went to school since that doesn't generate any money of its own. I'm already devoting 12+ hours a day to school. Next time you work that long and work another job, please, let me know.

If that wasn't directed at me, I apologize, but comments like that really tick me off when I've worked very hard to be able to do this.
You sound like a hard worker and a good person... if that was directed at you, don't let comments like that upset you. In this situation, they're probably motivated by jealousy.... but that doesn't matter. If you have the means to enjoy the car, enjoy the car. I say, enjoy your own life, don't worry about what others should or shouldn't be enjoying.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Guess i should've explained a bit better.

I hate parents that give their kids everything.

Like the 18 yr old around my area that has a Hummer that i know he doesnt pay a dime for.

And yea, I admit that I'm jealous. My parents did nothing for themselves and i eventually pay the price also. Do i think that makes me a better person? Not really. Do I value and appreciate things a lot more? Yes.

As a side note: Kinda mad/sad i got denied financing for the second time

Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by tarheel91,Aug 21 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm already devoting 12+ hours a day to school. Next time you work that long and work another job, please, let me know.
And yea, i completely understand.

I go to school full time, and work 40+ Hours a week (I grab all the overtime I can)

Old 08-21-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo131,Aug 21 2008, 03:09 PM

Guess i should've explained a bit better.

I hate parents that give their kids everything.

Like the 18 yr old around my area that has a Hummer that i know he doesnt pay a dime for.

And yea, I admit that I'm jealous. My parents did nothing for themselves and i eventually pay the price also. Do i think that makes me a better person? Not really. Do I value and appreciate things a lot more? Yes.

As a side note: Kinda mad/sad i got denied financing for the second time

Life's never perfect... ditch the jealousy and move on. You'll be happier. (Though I can sympathize in relation to the kid with the Hummer... that can be hard to ignore.)

Quick Reply: Potentially youngest S2000 owner?