S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Post Your Leather Questions Here...They will get a

Old 09-13-2003, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by HI SPEEDR
I treat my leather once a month using Meguiar's...is that too much?
A little on the frequent side, but every 1-3 months is fine, I do it once a month too since the products are readily available.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:12 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope this question gets answered because it is bothering a lot of S2000 owners, just based on the number of different threads started about this problem. The problem is the seatbelt rubbing against the leather seat, causing a squeak as the seatbelt moves over the leather while driving. Here are some of the threads related to this problem:

Squeaky seat belt
Driver's side seatbelt squeak
I cannot take the seatbelt anymore!
Seat belt squeak

A workable solution would be appreciated by all S2000 owners. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:13 AM

OK, heres a good one for ya!

I had a lot of wear issues on the bottom of my drivers seat. Took it to the dealership, and they ended replacing the whole bottom half of the seat! Cushion, leather, and frame!! Well, now there are a few problems:

1) The leather they replaced is not "glossy" like the rest of the seats. Its more dull.

2) When i picked up the car, the leather was all loose, as if it were too big for the cushion. The dealership told me that it will tighten up over time (about 2 weeks), and that was just because the leather cover was folded up in a box, and they had to put it on the cushion. Well, its been almost 3 months, and it still looks the same, very loose and sloppy looking!

Thanks,
John
Old 09-13-2003, 08:22 AM

in another thread I read a while back, I believe it was concluded that the only leather parts of our car are the sections that are perforated, namely the center seat and center back sections, as well as the elbow rest on the center console. I believe the steering wheel is also leather, but I could be wrong.

could you please clarify exactly which parts of our seats are leather and thus need leather treatment, and which parts are actually vinyl, which would probably benefit from a cleaner like 303?
Old 09-13-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Here's a pic of the "knee mark" on my seat.

I'll try the hair dryer technique, but I also have an adjustable temp heat gun, if that is better. Either way, I will try to use minimal heat to do the job.

As you can see from the pic, the side bolster near the "knee mark" is also stretched out.

Is the side bolster vinyl, or leather, and can the side bolster material also be tightened up using the heat method?

Thanks for the info!!

-Pete

Old 09-13-2003, 09:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteS2k
[B]Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is a topcoat? Is it like a wood veneer?

I don't understand why it's so easy to wear through a veneer, or like my previous 2000 TL it starts to peel away where there are wrinkles. The driver's seat was replaced at 15,000 miles.

Does overapplication of cleaner/leather preservative cause this to happen?

I have 12000 miles on my S2000, and the veneer is worn through where the seatbelt "squeaks". Maybe the squeak will go away when the topcoat is gone?

Thanks for the Q&A service!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:41 AM

Great info!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Johnny--2K
OK, heres a good one for ya!

I had a lot of wear issues on the bottom of my drivers seat. Took it to the dealership, and they ended replacing the whole bottom half of the seat! Cushion, leather, and frame!! Well, now there are a few problems:

1) The leather they replaced is not "glossy" like the rest of the seats. Its more dull.

2) When i picked up the car, the leather was all loose, as if it were too big for the cushion. The dealership told me that it will tighten up over time (about 2 weeks), and that was just because the leather cover was folded up in a box, and they had to put it on the cushion. Well, its been almost 3 months, and it still looks the same, very loose and sloppy looking!

Thanks,
John
John, I actually had a similar problem, the bolster on my driver side, by the door got ruined from sliding in and out, the foam that is, the leather was fine, so they put in new foam to bring it back to proper form. So if anyone has this problem, be aware that Honda will help you.

OK so now to your problem, the reason it isn't as glossy is that Honda will either

a. change the actual leather used over the years (my father has a 2000, his leather is much softer than my 2002, by far actually)
b. the leather is meant to be dull, but as you sit on it, you remove the texture by actually sanding it with your clothes, thus it gets shiny as it smoothes out.

For this I would be patient, it should be fine in the long run, give it a month or two of breakin

Your other issue, the leather will most likely not tighten up over the coming weeks, I have never seen leather tighten up on its own...EVER, it stretches out over time in most cases. But give them the time they said it would take and then if its still bad, go back to them, just don't jump right in now, it could aggrevate them that you have not listened to their recommendations.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:44 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Here's a couple questions?

Where is a good source to buy leather with as close a color match to honda red as I can get?

What should I look for when buying leather to make sure it's good quality etc

What type of thread should I use to best withstand the elements and not hurt the leather?

Whats the best way to keep leather from sweat staining and protect it from them?

thanks

fltsfshr

Quick Reply: Post Your Leather Questions Here...They will get a