S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Possible convert....need some help

Old 06-10-2002, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible convert....need some help

I'm struggling with the idea of picking up an S2K to replace my S4. I've only had the S4 for about 6 months but something is just missing.....a few questions...

In Nor Cal, which dealers are pricing the S2Ks out at MSRP?

What are some basic experiences up to this point with the S2K?

Anyone else in my situation?

THX
Old 06-10-2002, 01:29 PM

Just spend some time reading all the information in this forum. Try to find someone that will let you test drive a used one. The S is a "true" sports car and I love every minute I'm driving mine!!!!!
Old 06-10-2002, 01:32 PM

Had the pleasure of driving both - they are SO different - test drive is a must. What is "missing" from the Audi? The Honda may or may not have what you are looking for.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:38 PM

Don't get me wrong, the S4 is awesome. Ton's of torque down low and incredible thrust all the way to redline. However...it just doesn't seem as nimble as I'd like it to be. I've driven a co-worker's S2K and was taken by surprise as to how stiff the stock suspension is. I think that what is damaging my S4 experience is the plain and simple fact that the S4s are somewhat known for turbo failure...and the prospect of spending upwards of $5k to replace them isn't very inspiring. I think overall what is missing really is the "sports car" feel. I don't feel as connected to the road as I should.....
Old 06-10-2002, 01:47 PM

Boostd, Autowest Honda in Fremont will do MSRP, but you have to work them. PM me with contact info, and I'd be happy to hook up with you on this. I ended up buying mine from Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, because I work right across the street from them, they had the color I wanted, and I got it essentially for MSRP.

Also, the things you commented on in your last thread about a "sports car" feel are almost precisely the reason I bought my car.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:53 PM

Well think this through: If the "sports car" feel. I don't feel as connected to the road as I should....." means that you would like to get your ears blown out and drive street version of go-cart basically then yes S2k is your best bet. It is very much different to ride this car on short distances from having this car as the stretcher - take it to the Lake Tahoe would be quite tiring experience. This car is for short trips through canyons or for the racetrack. I am happy with it since it makes my short commute fun and I had awful amount of fun going to Mt.Hamilton and Livermoore but I have other cars to stretch...
Old 06-10-2002, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the info...I'll shoot you my contact info soon. What I discovered after having 8 cars is that I'm finding myself searching for the right mix of power and handling. I believe that the S2K comes closer than anything else I've ever driven...and after watching the Best Motoring videos...I think I'm hooked.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:10 PM

I just got an 01 S2k. I still have my A4, but it just hasn't felt the same since getting the S. I drove an S4 before I got my A4 a year ago, and loved it, but just didn't feel like dropping the extra 15k for the S4 over the A4. My A4 now feels like a big car, and the shifter is so loose compared the the S2k. The A4 feels much less sporty now, but at the same time definately more luxury (especially ride wise). What everyone said is right on. Two totally different cars.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:37 PM

The S4 is a great car. If I had a family and had to....uhhg ...get rid of the S2K I would choose the S4. I would hope that the S2K is more sporty feeling than the S4 otherwise Honda did something very bad. It is tough to compare a 4 door sedan to a roadster though. The S4 is one of the top in its class IMO but totally not the same type of car. Did you buy the S4 new? if so look to eat a bunch of $$$ if you trade...just a thought
Old 06-10-2002, 05:00 PM

There are quite a few threads on the Bay Area forum (under Clubs) discussing who sells at MSRP. If you need a test drive, there are many of us who would be willing to take you for a test ride/drive. You could also watch for the regular lunch gettogethers or other meets to talk to a group of owners together.

Quick Reply: Possible convert....need some help