S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Porterfield Pads

Old 12-19-2001, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porterfield Pads

Where's the best place to buy Porterfield pads for the S2000? Which compound should I get if I am doing mostly autocross and a couple of track events? I've got some super blue high temp brake fluid. That should do the trick, right?

Thanks,
Derek
Old 12-19-2001, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want track only pads, get the R4's. But since your car is driven on the street, just stick with the R4S's - they will be good for track and autox events. If you go with the R4's and expect them to perform, or even stop your car at an autox event, they won't, they will not even reach operating temperatures until the end of your run if you push your brakes that much.

Just send me an email or PM and I'll set you up with a set of Porterfields. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2001, 02:27 PM

You've found the best place. Get 'em from Schatten.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:40 PM

I have seen brand new, properly bedded R4Ss used at the track. After 12 laps, yes 12 laps, the pads were gone. Think about using track only pads (and possibly track only rotors), pads are easy to change.

R4 is a different story though, good track pad, not so good auto-x pad. If your main interest is auto-x I recommend Hawk HP+. Remember though all these pads will dust and squeal.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:49 PM

Remember, it is hard to keep a race track pad at temperature during an autoX event. Those 120 mph to 40 mph brake warmups will get you unwanted attention, then your rotors will warp as you wait in line for you run. R4S are fine for both street and AutoX with maybe a little more black dust than the stock pads.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fangfang
[B]I have seen brand new, properly bedded R4Ss used at the track.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tanqueray
[B]

That's really odd.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fangfang
[B]I have seen brand new, properly bedded R4Ss used at the track.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

I agree with Tanqueray, that experience does not track with anything I have heard. I would like to know what kind of laps those were.

I have used R4S on the street/track with good results going thousands of miles and over 100 laps at the track before they got below 50% where they are more heat sensitive and can begin to crumble. I still use the R4S front and rear on the street, and on the rears on the track (with Panther+ on the front).

The R4S will probably work for you or call Carbotech for other options.
I was wondering why I recently had problems with my R4S and the thinner pad = more heat sensitivity theory makes the most sense. I've had several autox's and three track days and only in the last one did i have problems with 'glazing'. Now they require a good deal of pedal pressure to make the same stop.

On a side note, I e-mailed carbotech and received a autoreply that I'd have my questions answered in FIVE DAYS! Wow, talk about managing customer expectations ... when they reply in 4 days I suppose I should be happy
Old 12-19-2001, 07:29 PM

cdelena - the r4s pads were on a 1996 200SX brand new at the beginning of the day. It was a Friday "Seat Time" track event held by CarGuys Inc over at Summit Point Raceway.

Quick Reply: Porterfield Pads