S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Poll: Would you have bought the S2000 if it wasn't a convertible?
Yes
35.79%
No
64.21%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Would you have bought the S2000 if it wasn't a convertible?

Old 03-01-2001 | 05:00 PM

Originally posted by S2000 Driver
A non-convertible sports car...

"What's the point?"
Two Words for you:

Viper Coupe

Old 03-01-2001 | 06:05 PM

In less than 1 month I've drove it over 1000 miles. Only able to put the top down twice because of the weather. Without the top down, it still wakes me up in the morning thinking about driving it. Without the convertible I would imagine it would be quieter, less rattles and squeaks, more trunk, glass window, less blind spot, more reclining on the seats. Not a bad trade off.
Old 03-01-2001 | 06:34 PM

Originally the soft-top turned me off on this car. I didn't want the upkeep hassles and security concerns a soft-top gives you. Eventually the performance and word-of-mouth from sites like this one convinced me that I could live with a soft-top, so I started looking into getting an S more seriously. Now that I have one I've had zero regret, and am definitely a convert to the world of ragtops The S has definitely spoiled me rotten, including the drop-top <G> I'll probably get the hardtop eventually, to use during the the winter/summer (top down in 110 degree humid weather doesn't appeal to me), then use the ragtop the rest of the year.
Old 03-01-2001 | 08:45 PM

Got rid of my NSX in anticipation of going back to a ROADSTER. The S2000 met that need. It's a great value. I'm back in top-down heaven! In other words, if the S2000 wasn't a convertible, I would have kept the NSX.
Old 03-01-2001 | 09:24 PM

i wasnt even in the market for another car at all, but the performance stats caught my attention and I do love hondas, so I took the bait. I bought it initially DESPITE the convertible, as while I liked convertibles, I never dreamed i'd love the roadster feel SOOOO much! Now its top down ALL the time.
But YES, I would have bought it if it were a coupe, or a hardtop. ...but I am now glad its a convertible...though I now dont understand why they give us a roof at all
Old 03-01-2001 | 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Low-S2000
Originally posted by S2000 Driver
A non-convertible sports car...

"What's the point?"
Two Words for you:

Viper Coupe

2 words back

"Its UGLY!"
Old 03-01-2001 | 11:11 PM

Prior to the Stook it was 7 series Bimmers for me...I wasn't in the market for a sports car. But the sheer nostalgia of a "classic" roadster with the reputation of Honda quality was more than I could resist. No way it would have even caught my eye as a hardtop.
Old 03-02-2001 | 12:19 AM

Although many would disagree, I'd have to say definitely no. When I was about 10 years old my aunt took me for a ride in her beat-up MG with the convertible top down...I became an instant roadster-lover and I've never looked back.

Roadsters had fallen out of fashion for many years so I always assumed I'd have to buy a used MG to experience the same top-down enjoyment. When Mazda came out with the Miata, we saw the re-birth of the roadster and everything changed. My first car purchase was a '97 Miata and I thought it was the greatest. Say what you will about it not being a "real" sports car, I would have kept it if the S2000 were not a convertible. You have to give the Miata it's due - without it we may not have had the same S2000 as we have today, if at all.

Once you have the opportunity to experience the sheer enjoyment of driving a roadster with the convertible top down, there's just no going back. I will never be without one...
Old 03-02-2001 | 12:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve C.
[B]Prior to the Stook it was 7 series Bimmers for me...I wasn't in the market for a sports car.
Old 03-02-2001 | 02:08 AM

I had never owned a convertible before. Call me middle-age crazy, but I just couldn't resist it! I think initially, the top-down aspect is what interested me most, along with Honda reliability, of course.

Quick Reply: Poll: Would you have bought the S2000 if it wasn't a convertible?