S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Poll: Would you have bought the S2000 if it wasn't a convertible?
Yes
35.79%
No
64.21%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Would you have bought the S2000 if it wasn't a convertible?

Old 03-01-2001 | 12:35 PM

I said yes, but I came at it from a different angle than most.

I would have actually preferred the option of a hardtop initially. I've never owned a convertible before and didn't really have much desire for one. They always seem to be heavier, slower, noisier and less practical than hardtop cars. Since I spend a fair amount of time at the track, I also foresaw issues with driver protection (and some tracks will not allow the car out).

If Honda had offered a hardtop, it would have had lots more cargo space, probably weighed 100+ lbs less, would have been even stiffer - all good things and I would have bought it, whether it was cheaper, the same price, or even more expensive.

However....

Seeing as how I live in SoCal, the convertible is highly addictive. The S2K is a second car, so it only comes out when the top is down (or maybe for a date :-). When you're just cruising around, not able to exploit the handling or power, the convertible makes the time more enjoyable, and its done wonders for my tan.

Even now I'd still would have bought a hardtop, but I think I'll always want to have a fun convertible in the garage in the future.

UL
Old 03-01-2001 | 12:48 PM
20 Year Member

I was saving for a 2000 model year convertible. Was prepared to get my second choice, a Saleen S351.
Old 03-01-2001 | 12:52 PM

Yes- definitely would have...

Me to my wife when looking at the S2000 the first time: "I just don't really want a convertible... but its got the best engine and suspension I've seen."

I'm an individual who 70% of the time doesn't have a haircut for a convertible. By that I mean a little wind and I'll be next to unpresentable unless I just got a fresh haircut.

I also don't like wearing hats/caps, hat-hair, and that thinning spot on top sure likes to burn in sunlight.

Needless to say, the first week I had the car I got a haircut and toasted my neck in the sun big-time.

I do prefer driving it top down though, but only because its the only way visibility is reasonable..

-B
Old 03-01-2001 | 01:11 PM

I have always had convertable cars - it just takes driving to a new level - got to put the lid down!
Old 03-01-2001 | 01:11 PM

No, I would have kept the NSX.
As is, I now wish I had acquired a convertible years ago. I just love it.
Old 03-01-2001 | 01:17 PM

Also wasn't in the market for a convertable, but who could resist.
Old 03-01-2001 | 01:31 PM

Originally posted by S2000 Driver
A non-convertible sports car...

"What's the point?"
my sentiments exactly.
Old 03-01-2001 | 03:02 PM

You need to place a few more options on this question.

I love the S2000 specs and the car but I wasn't looking to buy a new vehicle.

However when I saw the unit and heard all the discussions about only limited years of production AND the fact it was a convertible I went for the GOLD!! I passed up on an AC Cobra when I was in college. Bought a 240Z instead.

I do not regret grabbing the S2K, but wonder if I would have waited for a couple of more years before the big purch if the car wasn't a convertible.

Tough question and tougher to answer.

Love the Stook!!
Old 03-01-2001 | 03:21 PM

dunno but i myself is not so crazy about convertibles. i just got the car for its performance and somewhat of its looks. i rarely drive with the top down and i dont plan to either. so for sure a hardtop is in the making...

Mike
Old 03-01-2001 | 04:41 PM

I actually would have preferred a hardtop or at least I thought I would have. Since we bought the car and have owned it awhile I have changed my views on convertibles entirely. Now I can't imagine the car in a hard top version. It just wouldn't be right.

Quick Reply: Poll: Would you have bought the S2000 if it wasn't a convertible?