S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A plea for better Thread Titles than (Please read this!, Oh My God!, Help, etc.).

Old 03-12-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A plea for better Thread Titles than (Please read this!, Oh My God!, Help, etc.).

I have had this pet peeve ever since I became a member. I sent in a suggestion to one of the board members on this but nothing was ever done. There are so many threads started each day now with the increasing popularity of the site that it would be really helpful if thread starters would come up with titles for threads that are more meaningful than, "I have this problem" or "What the heck!". My original suggestion asked for the addition of a new column in the initial forum screen which would indicate what the thread was about and thread starters would be forced to pick a subject from a list of subjects such as: rear window, stereo, seats, oil, wax, headlights, etc. There could be an "other" category if one just couldn't decide.

If one of the board members reads this, Iwould appreciate their comment.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely agree, this is one of my peeves.

I won't even look at a thread like this, unless maybe I see 5 stars next to it.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:06 AM

So, your thread title would be categorized as "other," right ?? j/k...

I see your point. Many threads with ambiguous titles (many times, intentionally) not knowing what the content is about. Annoying...

But on the other hand, this is a free forum, allowing anyone the ability to plug a thought, opinion, idea, etc without the constraints of strict rules or thread policies. Add to that that we have all types of people on this site with different types of backgrounds, education, intentions, mo's, etc.... only linking each other by a common interest in a car.

I think you're trying to ask people to use common sense and courtesy when they conjure up their thread titles. That's going to be hard to mandate or request...
Old 03-12-2002, 10:08 AM

Rick,

I understand. I can envision maybe 10-15 categories and the thread submitter would pick the category that most closely fits. If none do then he/she can pick the category "other". However this would be mandatory and force one to pick something. I know that some would pick "other" and persist with meaningless titles but at least everyone would be aware that meaningful titles and categories help us all including themselves. It was just a thought. Maybe one of the board members will have a better idea. Maybe no one cares. I just had to say something.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not too bad the way it is. I can just ignore half of the threads right off the bat, and only look at ones that actually say something.

And I ignore the stars too. Most of the 5-star threads I've seen have only one vote anyway, and it's probably from the guy that started it.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mmm. People often have difficulty posting in the right forum at the moment (Me included sometimes ) I think the moderators would have to do a lot of 'Post moving' if the number of forums were to be increased. The membership is getting pretty vast and encompasses all tastes and age groups. If something really irritates to that extent then say so there and then, or just ignore the offending thread. I do sympathise but I doubt the idea would work in practise.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:37 PM

Another vote here for more-descriptive titles - I usually skip the vague ones.