S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Plastic Re-Chroming Assistance

Old 06-08-2003, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Re-Chroming Assistance

A few years ago I painted the inside "plastic shroud" in my front headlight housings... which I absolutely love. Since this was my initial attempt, I didn't know to tape off the chromed section around the HID lense. About a week later, the intensity from the light started to bubble and brown the paint around the HID:

Okay, so next batch of painted "shrouds" would be masked-off and then painted... A side note: I used plastic adhesion promoter, stock pearl/metallic paint with reducer, and then multiple layers of acrylic clear coat to make a very reasonable finish...

After removing the masking tape, some of the chrome layer came with the tape:

I could of course paint some more of the many housings that I have... but many of the chrome finishes around the HID lense are either scratched or blotched. Instead of going out and purchasing more housings, where can I send 2 well-painted pieces for professional chroming? I would want a reflective high-quality coating equal to or better than the original.

Any ideas, referrals, or suggestions?

Thank you!
Old 06-08-2003, 06:56 AM

Sorry, but you can't do that. The plastic is chromed in a vapor depostion process in a vacuum, then they paint the parts like you did. You see this on chromed plastic, astronaut helmets (they use gold/iridium) and mirrors. Check the web or the yellow pages. The major telescope makers all use this process, and some do contract work.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:29 AM
God

Originally posted by chipperman
Sorry, but you can't do that. The plastic is chromed in a vapor depostion process in a vacuum, then they paint the parts like you did. You see this on chromed plastic, astronaut helmets (they use gold/iridium) and mirrors. Check the web or the yellow pages. The major telescope makers all use this process, and some do contract work.
'

Soooooo..........

Perhaps the damaged ones could just be stripped and then go through the vapor process and chrome the whole thing!

And then just order more for next time.

I'll take a pair!!! I think an all chrome insert would be awsome.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:05 PM
SaV

I was thinking the same thing. Please post your results if any. I would really like to convert my headlights into a the MY03 JDM/EDM chrome headlights.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:58 PM
God

Originally posted by S2SaV
I was thinking the same thing. Please post your results if any. I would really like to convert my headlights into a the MY03 JDM/EDM chrome headlights.
You said you have many sets of shrouds... Would you like to sell one of the sets that has messed up chrome?
Old 06-08-2003, 03:35 PM

Before I start giving away my headlight pieces, let me try to find a "chroming" shop to send a pair to... I would like to keep the extras in case they mess up or I don't like the results. So I guess I will get the entire inserts chromed and go from there. If I don't like the entirely chromed piece, then I will paint the main part body colored...

I will of course report back... as I used to do when I was really active on this board a year or two ago...

Thank you for your assistance... I would take a referral to a shop that people have worked with... anyone?
Old 06-08-2003, 10:41 PM
God

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shaner
[B]Before I start giving away my headlight pieces, let me try to find a "chroming" shop to send a pair to... I would like to keep the extras in case they mess up or I don't like the results.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:36 AM

Just read in a New York Times article (free registration required) that a patent has been issued for fingernail polish that produces a mirror finish. I don't know if it's on the market yet. I can think of lots of detailing ideas this would help. Of course we would have to know about its high-temperature characteristics before using it on the headlight ring.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:47 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Shaner

The OEM Pieces are chromed completely and then painted black. I assume they use a plug to mask the chrome ring off instead of tape. I have been thinking about doing this to a few plastic thing I have. Keep us updated as this progresses.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:52 PM

Of course the hardest part will be deciding on a shop to do the work... then either keeping them entirely chrome or adding my silverstone paint...

To answer an earlier question, the inside moulding/shround is only available inside a full housing. Since purchasing my car 3 years ago I have purchased about 8 pairs of US and European housings and now have a few boxes of parts (including a few sets of light shrouds). I will post pictures after I get them done...

Thanks for your help everyone!

Quick Reply: Plastic Re-Chroming Assistance