S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Pissing Contest has Ended

Old 06-06-2001, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All,

I give up. I've spent this entire week so far baby sitting a very few members and trying to get them to play nice. I am way beyond pissed off at this point and have no more time to spend in this nonsense. If this doesn't correct itself, and I mean NOW, there are going to be some very unhappy people. At this point what I see is 3 or 4 people ruining the enjoyment of hundreds. This will not continue. You (and I mean those that continue this pissing contest, you know who you are) are living on borrowed time here. No one individual or group of individuals is going to be allowed to ruin it for everyone else. That's exactly what happening here and while I have made every reasonable effort to make peace it is clearly not working. From this point forward, I am simply going to isolate those that "don't get it" so the rest of us can get on with it and enjoy our time here.

I think it sad that I have to go to Off-Topic to find civility.

This is my final warning. The next action I take will be severe and permanent. Get a grip or get lost. And to those that think you are excluded or somehow immune from such action, think again.

I hope that I've finally made myself clear on this. It's the last PM, email or post I'm going to make on this subject. I've let everyone say their piece. You've been carefully pushing my buttons and now you've hit the eject button.

BTW: If this offends you, tough. Don't bother posting an "I'm disgusted and never coming back" thread, just go. Don't whine about being repressed, you've all had your say and have been warned. What happens from this point forward will be a direct consequence of your actions. If you don't think you can handle it in the heat-of-the-moment, I suggest you take a timeout and get your shit together.

This is the final word, case closed.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gee...I was only away for a week and I missed all the fun???
What happened?
Old 06-06-2001, 11:10 AM

I for one have always been ok for selectively editing and removing both users and posts. I've been a student of the constitution (Masters Political Science)for quite some time and don't buy people bringing up the first and making allusions to various repressive regimes. This is a club with membership rules. Civility being a very important one. This is the foundation that makes groups like this work.

It's just like a discussion group at a university, walk in cursing and insulting people and you may find that you are not invited back.

I have been impressed on the whole with this MB for how it is run and the civility and knowledge of most posters. A lot of boards are unbearable because of "trolls" and people that get their rocks off by insulting people they don't even know, and I would think that most posters here would support administrative efforts to preserve what this board is about (open and civil education, entertainment and communication

My 10cents.

Hugh
(my spelling sucks I think I have to edit every post over 2 words.)
Old 06-06-2001, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, I must have missed the really nasty posts. Of course, after posts like "Why I mod/don't mod my XXX car" or "You guys suck because..." get beyond a page in length, I've lost all interest in them. I guess the really good shit flinging happens on pages 2, 3, and beyond.

cthree, I can understand your anger. Once I feel the blood start to rise, I quickly stop and say to myself, person XXX is a complete idiot for being so nasty, they have no respect for others or any self-respect, I could care less what they have to say from this point on. Once that point is reached, I'm a happy camper again. Of course, I can just ignore it, but as board administrator, you're forced to deal with it.

I think the majority here support you in your decisions, and generally the ones who don't are the ones creating the problems in the first place. I doubt many here would consider you heavy-handed, so do what you feel is necessary, and don't worry about the good kids I could personally do with fewer "My opinion is better than yours, you suck!" type of posts, but one more listed topic doesn't kill my bandwidth, and I can ignore it form there on out.

Scold them, smack their wrists, kick them off the board, do what's necessary, and don't look back. If you do something out of line, I'm sure the good kids will let you know.

I get to drive a sweet car and talk/meet with some great people because of this board. After all is said and done, I can honestly say this board helps me do this -->
Old 06-06-2001, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cthree,

I applaud your persistence and courage in attempting to bring civility to a world where it is increasingly absent. This board succeeds because people are generally thoughtful, considerate, and helpful. It will survive just fine absent the people who aren't. While we want to encourage people to express their opinions, we want the discourse to be civil and fair.

Thanks for holding the board to such admirable standards!

[Edited by Rick Hesel on 06-06-2001 at 03:52 PM]
Old 06-06-2001, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what this boils down to is a lack on some people's parts to respect others' opinions. If we could instill some amount of respect and tolerance to a few people on this board, then the feathers of the rest would remain unruffled, as they were until just a few weeks ago.

I'm not innocent in all of this, but I am now doing what I can to do exactly what I just outlined before. Truly, if you don't agree with a thread just from the title of it, don't read it and certainly don't post to it! That's something I have come to govern myself by, and I don't believe it would hurt anyone else to do it too.

Furthermore, we all realize that there are a few trolls here. They will get bored and leave if they aren't given anything to do, so just ignore them, please! It's like seagulls at the beach; if you feed them, they expect to be fed from then on and flap around waiting for it, all the while crapping on the innocent bystanders. Think about that!

Cthree, I applaud your attempts to keep civility here, and please let me know if there is anything further I can do to make your job a little easier. And again, thank you for the trouble you go to just to see that we have a place to congregate in the first place!
Old 06-06-2001, 11:50 AM

Just do it CThree. I haven't been following this particular thread but I like the integrity of this board.

Take 'em out.

Simon.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:14 PM

100% in agreement C3... and I apologize for any fuel I have added to the fire. I always _try_ to do the right thing, but don't always succeed. Thanks for all your time and effort in providing us with this forum.

And as Gandhi said (I'm 1/2 Indian) "There will be tyrants and villians and for a time they may seem invincible... but in the end, the way of truth and justice will always win out."
Old 06-06-2001, 12:21 PM

cthree

I am glad that you are aware of what people are doing and are taking the proper steps to solve the problem. A couple of people can cause so much trouble.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:22 PM
Bieg

Thank you CThree

Quick Reply: Pissing Contest has Ended