S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Pics&Report on Clearing Headlight, no more orange.

Old 10-21-2000, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok folks, how have you been?
I seem to have nothing better to do in this gorgeous sunny Saturday and decided to work on the headlight to make it clear all around.
Based on the member who have done it, I wanted to do the same, instead of spending chunks of money($800-$900)on the Jap or Euro pair, well almost same.
Before you try this, make sure if you really want to do this and have yourself an ample time as well as lots of patience to work slowly and neatly without scratching or damaging the housing.
Spent 2 & half hours to complete this.
I would like to show you that it can be done.

Picture speaks thousand words so here they are!
Of course, once again front facia has to be removed to do this. Looking around for bolts to unscrew.

You need a heatgun to make the black glue to melt to disassemble the housing. Of course this part is the part where you need lots of patience to do it slowly small section at a time. Forgot the member's name but yes that glue is evil to get off, but it can be done.
Don't apply too much heat at one section, you will melt the plastic! It looks so easy huh?

At last, it is off! Unscrew 3 screws to remove the orange mask.

The orange thingy is outta there!

Putting it back on takes just as much effort as taking it apart. Reheat the glue with the heatgun and start putting it back together section at a time. Do it slowly and make sure you use some sort of pincher to hold the piece together for a bit. Make sure to use something to seal it completely around. I used black stuff that you use to seal windshield. This is critical since you don't want water entering in the housing.
Finished!, hmm, nice.

Here are some final pictures.

[This message has been edited by 1Randyc (edited October 21, 2000).]
Old 10-21-2000, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i won't say it seems easy, but it does seem alot easyer that when the Reverend (i think) posted about it. I seem to remember that he actually baked the housing in the oven and then had some major project going as far as scraping / cutting the orange out of the assembly !! Am i just immagining things???
Old 10-21-2000, 09:12 AM

So my this came to a happy conclusion. I finally achieved the clear look that I wanted without spending a buck. But the effort it took to do this sure feel like I spent a lot.
Now if you want to do this, you are doing it at your own risk, so please don't blame me if something goes wrong. Also, if you really want the good look, nothing beats the original Jap or Euro housings but I think this does it admirably without throwing money away.
Oh, I didn't prepare the orange bulbs but I will try to find it or maybe you guys can help? Anyway at night, HID is so bright and the side bulb is too dim that it looks orageish anyway.

Oh well, if you got any questions, I will be happy to answer.

[This message has been edited by 1Randyc (edited October 21, 2000).]
Old 10-21-2000, 09:13 AM

We need someone to travel around the country to perform this operation. I'd be happy to pay $100 to get rid of the orange.
Old 10-21-2000, 09:17 AM

How does the European housing differ from your project?
Old 10-21-2000, 09:54 AM

randy, can you mail me the yellow portion? i may be able to make a clear plastic thingie with that, and you can try it on (2 more hours?)
Old 10-21-2000, 09:58 AM

Looks a little bit unrefined, but I love how the lights look on the silver car. How much would you charge to do it to other peoples' cars ?

Jay
Old 10-21-2000, 10:05 AM

Jap and Euro housing has mulkier or foggy mask something like the orange lens on ours to cover over light bulbs for more cleaner and refined look.

Mingster if you are serious, I will send you the orange lens. If you can make the same type as the ones are in Jap or Euro housing, those people who will attempt what I did will be happy. As for me, yikes, I don't want to do it again unless the ones I have crack or some unfortunate thing happens, I will re-do it when I have to get a replacement housings.

Jay Li, oh I don't know. I feel comfortable working on mine but not others even if they pay me, I will ask the friend mechanic if he would do but maybe he will decline.
Old 10-21-2000, 11:43 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Randy - did you put amber bulbs in, or leave in the clear bulbs? (i may have missed this in the description of the process. :confused

looks great! I am not going to attempt it on mine (mechanically un-inclined).

Scot
Old 10-21-2000, 12:31 PM

Very cool. Man...your car looks nice. I like the upgraded front end

FK

Quick Reply: Pics&Report on Clearing Headlight, no more orange.