S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Photos of permanent windscreen oscillation fix: it works great!

Old 06-27-2001, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,

The headrest pictured looks a little different from past ones. Is that the new version? If so, I like.
Old 09-19-2001, 11:43 AM

I think it is terrific that Rick has been trying as hard as he has to come up with a fix for the oscillation / vibration problem, however there should be a link on his order form to this thread so potential buyers can see potential problems. I have the fullsize screen and I spent $300+ for something that doesn't work like it should. It doesn't make noise but it looks cheap fluttering like it does. I leased my car and don't feel like explaining / paying for holes I drilled in the roll hoops. The bumpers stayed on about an hour, the weather seal melts in the sun... I think the product should have a disclaimer or they should suspend sales until a proper fix is found.

Just how I feel.
Old 09-19-2001, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Digger,

I understand your concern and I'm sympathetic to it. We do have other fixes, which we have posted since this post went up. If you aren't aware of it, I'll be happy to send it to you. If you're not happy, return the screen and we'll be pleased to refund your money.

The complete elimination of any oscillation is impossible, so if it's perfection you're seeking, I'm afraid we there'e nothing we can do, and we've made no false promises about that. And I humbly beg to differ with your characterization that "it looks cheap fluttering."

The issue has been discussed at length on this board, we have said all along that with the pressures on the screen at speed, there's nothing that will totally eliminate vibration. Adhering the bumpers (which we sent free to everyone) with super glue does work, provide the instructions are followed to the letter. Once we realized the glue on the bumpers would not work, we posted the supreglue solution and sent the instructions to people who requested them and with new orders as well. I've been driving my car with this solution for over two months now, and the virbration is not a problem at all, hardly noticeable, unless you're looking for it. But the screen itself must also be properly and solidly glued together, which is something we cannot control.

All that having been said, we will post a warning on our web site about this so people don't feel misled. Frankly, we have no interest in making or selling the screens if they make people unhappy.
Old 09-19-2001, 02:06 PM

Cheaper and easier way of doing this - it would also allow you leave the car stock. Just go to Home Depot and get the 3M stick-on, rubber feet for appliances, stereo equipment, etc. Make sure you get the ones with the Industrial adhesive and these will be strong enough to stop the windscreen from flapping and will allow you to strip them off later with a little bit of Un-Do and an exacto/putty knife... Try it - you'll like it...
Old 09-19-2001, 02:36 PM

I would have to agree with Rick on this -- I've had the super glued bumpers on now for over a month, at speeds of over 80 for most of the day, without problems or issues. I won't say it doesn't oscillate at all, but I will say that is not noticeable. Oh, in an intense cross wind I've heard an occasional noise from it, but only rarely and not anywhere near like it was. So count me a happy customer who likes to drive with the top down as much as possible. Without the windscreen, that would be significantly less than it is with it.
Old 09-19-2001, 05:03 PM

I have done something a little different. I had some troubles with oscillation too. So bad, in fact, that the aeroscreen was actually bent forward quite a bit. The last time I had to take it apart, I saw that the foam rubber (where it bends backward) was basically non-existent. I replaced that with a strip of carpeting. It hardly moves now. Just a tiny bit of buffeting.

I also want to thank Rick on the board. I had been having a lot of trouble keeping the aeroscreen together. I think it was a combination of things doing it. I wrote to Rick privately and he told me to send it to him and he would fix it for me..... NO CHARGE!!!! I don't know many businesses, these days, that would do that. Keep up the good work Rick.
Old 09-19-2001, 11:29 PM

Rick,

So the wedges you were thinking about at one time didn't work out? The bumpers I secure with super glue stay put for about three weeks, then wind up in my cup holder or some such place. I'm not too enthused about drilling extra holes in my car, either.

cal
Old 09-20-2001, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by calc
Rick,

So the wedges you were thinking about at one time didn't work out? The bumpers I secure with super glue stay put for about three weeks, then wind up in my cup holder or some such place. I'm not too enthused about drilling extra holes in my car, either.

cal
I have had my bumpers super glued for a couple weeks w/o problems. Maybe I'm a lucky guy

I also would never drill into my car, just not something I have confidence in to do myself.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're still working on the wedges. We have them designed and are waiting for a productiion estimate from 3M.

If the bumpers come loose, it's likely that the super glue application wasn't done correctly. A single small drop or two at the most is all that is needed -- any more will weaken the bond. The surface has to be absolutely clean, and the glue has to be completely removed from the back of the bumpers. If you reapply them, you have to sure that any old superglue is removed from both the roll bar surfaces and the bumpers.

BTW, the drilling solution obviosly avoids all this bother with glue. If you're not worried about putting a very small hole in each of your roll bars and you wand to avoid the hassle of the glue, you may want to consider it.