S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Photos of permanent windscreen oscillation fix: it works great!

Old 06-10-2001, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Photos of permanent windscreen oscillation fix: it works great!

I finally took pictures of my permanent fix.

But first a note on the oscillation. The cause is quite simple. The slipstream of the wind over the car with the top down creates a wind curl behind the screen which actually pushes the screen forward toward the front of the car with a very strong force. Since the spring mechanism wants to push the screen back, variations in the wind pressure against the screen cause it to oscillate. The forward pressure on the screen is quite strong (and it keeps all that air out of the cabin). As an example, today I folded the screen back and forgot to fold it upright when I drove off. At about 30-40 mph the forward force of the wind curl lifted it up and snapped forward into the vertical position, where it was stopped by the bumpers.

The foam we supply with the screen works well, but over time, as the foam takes a bit of a set, the screen loosens and starts to oscillate. In some cases, the wind will push the screen so far forward it will be one or two inches past vertical toward the front of the car.

My permanent solution is simple: I screwed two small rubber bumpers into the roll hoops right at the top of the ears, one on each side. Use 3/4" #6 sheet metal screws to attach the bumpers, drilling a small pilot hole first so that you get them in the exact position. You have to position the bumpers carefully so they're at the very top of the ears but not so high that they protrude above the ears. I then padded the bumpers with a small piece of rubber to prevent any rattling. This work like a charm and totally eliminates any oscillation and noise.

The bumpers are Stanley part # 76-3761, available at Home Depot and many other hardware or home supplies places. There are 8 bumpers in a pack, two each of various small sizes and shapes. Just pick what you like. Since they're white all white, I used a very dark gray hobby paint to match the roll hoop plastic. I painted the heads of the screws the same color.

Here are the photos. From the back, you can barely see the bumpers at the top of the ears

From the passenger side the bumpers are apparent bu not very conspicuous (that's my Valentine One mount there -- see other post).

Here's a close up of one bumper. Notice the rubber pad (it made annoyng rattles without this).

I want to improve the way this looks, but for now I'm happy that the oscillation is completely gone. This is an easy fix that anyone can do.

Obviously, you have to screw two small holes in the rolls hoops to do this fix. So those of you who are obsessed with keeping the car stock may not want to do this. As for myself, I don't give a damn about what my car may sell for at some vintage sports car auction 20 years from now - I just want to enjoy while I have it as much as possible. So I was happy to drill the holes.
Old 06-10-2001, 01:26 PM

Rick, thanks for the tip. I have your 7/8th size and my stock stook mechanism must be snug because I get very little oscillation. But I was wondering what to do when it eventually loosened.
Old 06-10-2001, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Try the foam first (see our web site installation instructions): http://www.ricks2k.com/info/install.html.

If that isn't satisfactory, try the bumpers.
Old 06-21-2001, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,

I already posted simliar thing somewhere else, but hoping to get your expertise help. I have your 7/8 aeroscreen and luv it. I don't even care about the vibration since it doesn't make noise or bother me. However, I am concern that the constant vibration (I keep my top down 98% of the time) will eventually loosen or break the mounting bracket (either at the attachment point or the bracket itself). Do you have any feeling on this. I am not expecting my aero screen brackets to last forever, but would be nice to know what I can expect few years from now. Either case, I have been very happy with it.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2001, 03:32 PM

I am SO glad to see this. I have been having a lot of trouble with the windscreen lately. I was using the foam and it was working very well until summer hit. I replaced it and instead of the foam giving away the side of the mechanism did. I took it off and glued it again and replaced it. Then the OTHER side came undone. I will reglue this side and think about either the bumpers or back to nothing again and let it oscillate.
Old 06-21-2001, 05:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Molly,

We updated the installation instructions and are now recommending use of Goldberg's Super Jet (available at hobby stores) or other professional-grade super glues along the top of the ears. This is where the mechanism is most likely to separate. The super glues will eliminate this problem permanently (I've used Goldberg's on my windscreen, and it's rock solid).

The force on the screen from the wind curling over the top at speed is quite strong.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]We updated the installation instructions and are now recommending use of Goldberg's Super Jet (available at hobby stores) or other professional-grade super glues along the top of the ears.
Old 06-25-2001, 08:44 AM

Rick and rest of the S2K lovers - the permanent fix is awsome. I have to admit, it took me a while to get myself to drill holes in my head rest, but the permanent fix works like a charm. I went to the local True Value hardware store (couldn't find the recommended one at Home Base) and found dark brown color bumpers. I think it looks more fitting than Rick's (not like pool bumpers but looks like a cylinder similar to a flower pot). Because the colors were dark enough, I didn't even have to paint it.

Anyway, I just drove into work and took it up to 100mph - no vibration at all!

Thanks Rick and I'll never doubt you again.

DLee
Old 06-25-2001, 09:50 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm happy this works for you.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:51 AM

you want to make it look better, check out the bmw screw caps, i think those would fit nicely.

Quick Reply: Photos of permanent windscreen oscillation fix: it works great!