S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

People hate our car, or is it just me they hate?(long)

Old 06-27-2003, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't take it personally. People are JEALOUS that you're driving an S2000 and begrudge it to you. Any one who calls you an asshole for driving the S2000 is a pecker head anyway and sounds like a person I would have nothing to do with. Here in Florida, they just drive like assholes all the time for usually different reasons. For instance; the old people...they don't see or hear and lack common driver's common sense, so driving is disasterous near them. Also (sorry ladies), but the worst drivers in Florida are women and their SUV's. OMG, I almost got killed 4 times today. Don't get me started on that subject. Be seriously, people are just jealous. When that happens again, enjoy it and smile at them, 'cause that's the reason.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:32 AM

100MPH in a construction zone???!!!???

That is freaking insane. You're lucky you didn't kill anyone, like a construction worker. Some kid could have lost their Dad because of you...

There have been a number of highway construction workers killed and injured here in Illinois because someone was in TOO much of a hurry that they couldn't slow down in the construction zone.

Good thing your Dad isn't a highway construction worker, I think you'd hate to lose him because someone was as thoughtless as your behaviour exhibited you were.

Tom, trying to put a sense of perspective on the consequeces of doing that sort of thing
Old 06-27-2003, 11:45 AM

Unfortunately, this car does make people jealous. Most don't know the purchase price and associate it with the price levels of a Porsche, thus can be angry or jealous when they see people their age or younger driving around in one.

Then again, key scratching seems to be a very popular pastime around here, and a street-parked S2000 is just the perfect target for such anti-socials. Don't ask me how I know....

///Robin
Old 06-27-2003, 11:59 AM

Cut the guy some slack...

How many of the rest of us have looked down to see 80, 90 or 100 on the speedo without realizing it? No he shouldn't have been doing 100 near a construction zone. Yes it would have been more prudent to let the other guy speed up and fall in behind. But think about it...this whole episode probably only took 20 seconds to unfold. Is that enough time to think about all of the possibilities steming from planting your right foot for a moment? The point is that everyone should drive more courtiously and cut each other some slack.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:37 PM

dude you're an a$$hole.... j/k... haha

seriously tho... why does everyone care what other people think... besides, maybe you are an a$$hole.... no offense, but who cares??? you're friends and family still care about you....

Try not to forget that you drive an s2k.... regardless of what other people think, you're doing something right.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:47 PM

One thing I have learned with my car is to be patient. It seems that people are constantly sitting off to my side and checking out my car when I think they're going to pass. It still makes me nervous to know I don't have a lane to go to in an emergency, but you have to get used to it. I have to agree that I'll go out of my way to get out from behind a semi, but not to go 100 in a construction zone. People are jealous of a nice car and sometimes make a point of getting your attention. You just have to get used to it or get rid of it.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:55 PM

No comments on who's right or wrong from me... I'm widely considered to be an a$$hole by family, friends, and perfect strangers. It's something I've become accustomed to...

That said, rent "Duel" someday. Great movie which addresses this subject in a way that might make people think about consequences... Also Spielberg's first mainstream directorial effort.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:02 PM

All I can say is I'm glad I took "Defensive Driving For Assholes." It has paid off.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:14 PM

I think that almost anyone in any sportscar gets looked at in a different way. I see it all the time when I'm in my S. When I'm on the freeway, I get everyone passing me like there's no tomorrow and I just ignore them. Depending on the situaltion, if I have to pass them and they start to speed up, I do one of two things. either I slow down and get behind them or I downshift and hit the gas and pass them. The latter usually gives me a bad look from the other driver . I'm just letting him/her know that I'm not here to play games with them. I don't get any of that when I'm in my Explorer.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:13 PM

Yep, I have the same problem from time to time in Cali. Just a couple of weeks ago pulled up to a construction zone where 2 lanes merge into 1 and I was in traffic. Everyone was merging in a civil manner a car from lane 1 then a car from lane 2 then a car from lane 1 and so on. Well it gets to be my turn to merge in and this a$$hole in the lane next me decides not to let me in and pulls all the way forward to where he is kissing the bummper of the car in front of him. So I try to keep my postion, but he is blocking me out and then he rolls down his window and says "Hey that is a pretty nice car! Hate to see it get dinged!" I was like "A$$HOLE!" and just let him pass by. He was driving some POS mini-van, I tell you people just get jealous or something.

But as many negative experiences I get, the positive compliments like "Great looking car!" or the ooohs and aaaahs of people as I good by still far outnumber the negatives.

Quick Reply: People hate our car, or is it just me they hate?(long)