S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

passenger airbag and children

Old 08-02-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger airbag and children

I am in the market for a 2 seat roadster. Having owned many Honda products, I am leaning heavily towards the S2K. I have 6 and 4 year old daughters that will occasionally ride in the car. It is my understanding that the car does not have a passenger side airbag cut-off switch. I had one dealer tell me that he believed the passenger seat had sensors that would prevent airbag deployment if the occupant was less than 60 lbs. I have not heard this anywhere else. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,158 Posts

Originally posted by creggleton
I am in the market for a 2 seat roadster. Having owned many Honda products, I am leaning heavily towards the S2K. I have 6 and 4 year old daughters that will occasionally ride in the car. It is my understanding that the car does not have a passenger side airbag cut-off switch. I had one dealer tell me that he believed the passenger seat had sensors that would prevent airbag deployment if the occupant was less than 60 lbs. I have not heard this anywhere else. Any info would be appreciated.
creggleton

I have a MY02. There is no cutoff and there is no sensor that I know of.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:42 PM

No sensors in the S2000 and no passenger airbag disable switch (a hugely lacking feature, IMO). Do a search and you'll see lots of info on this topic. Some have had a passenger airbag switch installed - with some cost and difficulty. Others have decided that a properly installed carseat in a properly positioned passenger seat, with a properly restrained child poses little additional risk due to the airbag. Your call on this one, but dont' t let anybody else tell you what's right. Some people think you should go to jail if you've got your kid in anything less than the middle row of a full-size SUV with a 5-point harness and carbon fiber carseat that's welded to the frame. Other idiots don't seem to have a problem holding there kids on their lap and letting them help shift. The S2000 can be a reasonably safe vehicle for kids, if used properly.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by creggleton
...I had one dealer tell me that he believed the passenger seat had sensors that would prevent airbag deployment if the occupant was less than 60 lbs...
Get them to put that statement in writing. Then maybe they will think before they spew more garbage to other prospective buyers.

Originally posted by 6sigma
...The S2000 can be a reasonably safe vehicle for kids, if used properly.
How does one do that?
Old 08-03-2003, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by Ace10
How does one do that?
That is your judgement to make, and that is my point. Some forum members have decided that a conforming child seat installed and used correctly provides adequate protection from the risk to a child by the passenger airbag. Others have decided no risk is acceptable, and therefore the S2000 is offlimits for any person under age 12 (NHTSA recommends all children under age 12 ride in the back seat). Note that Honda only states that rear-facing seats should NEVER be used, because they cannot be installed in any way that avoids the passenger airbag risk. Honda recommends that front-facing seats not be used, but does provide clear instructions on their use in the owners manual.

If you don't believe the S2000 is safe for children due to reasons other than the passenger airbag risk (size, rollover risk, etc), then it is a completely different argument and judgement call.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no sensor, no switch.

here's a great thread on how to get a switch installed if you're interested.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 6sigma
[B]Others have decided that a properly installed carseat in a properly positioned passenger seat, with a properly restrained child poses little additional risk due to the airbag.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:47 AM

The 2004 Honda Accord has the weight sensitive passenger airbag device this year, some people think the 2004 s2000 might come out with the same but so far nothing in any prerelease info has confirmed that. I have a three year old and have started looking into the post market cutoff switch installers (will run around $500.00) and voids the warranty on the airbag. Like you I really hope the Honda folks have thought about people with children this year.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by downsouth
[B]The 2004 Honda Accord has the weight sensitive passenger airbag device this year, some people think the 2004 s2000 might come out with the same but so far nothing in any prerelease info has confirmed that.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rworne
[B]

Honda supposedly has a cutoff switch and you will need to contact AHM to get the necessary part after getting the government approval.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PJK3
[B]no sensor, no switch.

Quick Reply: passenger airbag and children