S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Parking with the top down

Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking with the top down

I always see other S2000 owners or even other convertible owners park their cars with the top down.

I always envision someone throwing a milkshake or pouring something in my car if I leave it topless

how do you guys do it any bad experinces?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem here, but I have no enemies (that I know of) and I don't live in a high crime area either ( I don't think).

Only bad thing ever happened to me, once at auto-x a bird hit it's target
Old 08-11-2005, 07:05 AM

I always park with the top down at work. But our company has a private, secured parking garage. If I'm out running errands, I might leave the top down for a quick run into the postoffice or the video store or somewhere where I can keep an eye on it. But otherwise, I'll typically close it when parking out in public.

Andrew
Old 08-11-2005, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by kelvin96gsr,Aug 11 2005, 06:42 AM
how do you guys do it?
I usually just pull into a parking stall, put it in first gear, pull the hand brake, and turn off the ignition. But then that is how I park whether the top is up or down.

Seriously, I've had the top down and the boot cover on my car for about 4 weeks now and so I have been parking with the top down. No problems so far -- knock on wood. I also leave the windows down and the doors locked (just a habit, it really does not matter when the top and windows are both down). We have a parking garage at work and I don't take my car to risky places, so I don't worry about it much.

There are really 8 possible combinations (not counting any alarms):
(top up/down) x (windows up/down) x (doors locked/unlocked)

I know people who believe that locking a rag-top does not make sense because people would just slash the top to get inside, so they always leave their cars unlocked. Then there are the people who park with the top down but the windows up (and doors locked) to prevent people from reaching inside, but leaving the windows up in an unsupported position looks risky also.

So it all depends on the kind of places you park at. In a more public place in a risky area, I'd put the top up.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:36 AM

I almost think that if you leave the top down, people are less likely to bother with it, because they figure you have nothing to hide. I leave my top down almost everywhere, and have not had a problem yet. It's more suspicious if you go nuts to put the top up, lock it, yada yada.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:36 AM

How do I do you ask?? Well let me tell you. I hit the roof button until the top is down, lock the "glove box" make sure there isn't anything to steal in your car and that's it.

I was walking out to my car once and saw a few people admiring it and then politely said, "excuse me" Damn I love this car
Old 08-11-2005, 07:56 AM

I only do that when I know I'm in a decent neighborhood or when there are other WAY more expensive cars than mine around. Short Hills mall in NJ is a prime example. I leave my top down, but there are usually 911 cabrios and Merc convertibles all around me! lol. Kinda makes the S2000 look like the corolla of the group.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:09 AM

I'll leave the top down if I'm not going to be gone for a long time (running into the grocery store, etc). It also depends on the neighborhood I'm in. I have nothing of value in the car, and if they want to steal the stock stereo, it just gives me a good reason to upgrade.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:34 AM

I don't leave the top down.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 AM

I only leave the top down if I am just running into a convience store or something like that.

Too many haters around here to risk having someone pour chit in my car or possibly do something worse.

Quick Reply: Parking with the top down